US and French imperialists at it again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US and French imperialists at it again

Just read a German media article that France will send a ship to Myanmar and give out stuff without permission of the local rulers. Isn't that pure colonialism?

Here's something in English I found (it hasn't exactly the "without permission" part though which is reported here):

The U.S. Navy is sending four ships on exercises in Thailand towards Myanmar, and French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner said he was sending a naval ship with 1,500 tonnes of aid to arrive by the middle of next week.

The vessel, Le Mistral, is capable of carrying heavy-lift helicopters and was the same one used to evacuate French nationals from Lebanon in 2006.

State-run TV in Myanmar warned of "foreign interference" in a repeatedly broadcast message urging people to cast their ballots for the new constitution. Voting in cyclone-devastated areas, including Yangon, has been postponed for two weeks.

The broadcast showed five young women performers in colorful clothing and singing songs, including the lyrics: "let's go voting" and "come along for voting" with upbeat background music.

"To approve the state constitution is the national duty of the entire people today," state propaganda messages in Burmese and English said.

A written message on the screen said: "Let us all who oppose foreign interference and manipulation; oppose puppet government with strings of colonialists. Vote Yes."
    Keep up-to-date with what's going on in the UK and around the world with the top headlines and breaking news from Yahoo and other publishers.

Blah

Yes, sending relief supplies to a dying populace is an act of oppression- at least oppressing stupid dictatorships.
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

BeBro, this surely has a strange thread title and implication.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Only when you take it seriously
        Blah

Comment

Even worse, they'll be calling it Burma as they do so.

Comment

Violating state sovereignty
            Unbelievable!

Comment

N U K E ThEm!!?!

That didn't make much sense.
              Long time member @ Apolyton
              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
                Yes, sending relief supplies to a dying populace is an act of oppression- at least oppressing stupid dictatorships.
                It is predicted 6-8 million North Koreans are facing starvation this year. Do we violate their sovereignty as well?
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working WITH the French?! Who the hell is president now? Jimmy Carter?

Comment

I'm against interventionist foreign policies but hypothetically if someone had to be liberated North Koreans would be my first choice.

Comment

Yeah but without North Korea, what would fill the void of world's biggest tinpot stalinist dictatorship?

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                        I'm against interventionist foreign policies but hypothetically if someone had to be liberated North Koreans would be my first choice.
                        How dare you! The communists say their people love starving to death.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil

It is predicted 6-8 million North Koreans are facing starvation this year. Do we violate their sovereignty as well?
                          Well, they have a rather large army. Burma doesn't have much of one...
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Don't you just love saying Burma instead of Myanmar?

It feels great!
                            The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
                            "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
                            "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
                            The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Man, I am totally having flashbacks to December of '04.
                              Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Working...
                              X