Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wiglaf
    No, they're not fake, and the military released the diaries to the paper
    (http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ory?id=4790613).

A U.S. military spokesman in Iraq, Maj. Matthew Morgan, declined to describe the writings as a formal diary,

So it's more a "diary" than a diary, right?
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

He added the incident is ongoing and no injuries or arrests have so far been reported.

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp

So it's more a "diary" than a diary, right?
        Pekaw! I am tired of this run around. The problem with the QUOTATION MARKS in the headlines is that it isn't cleary why they are there: Is it because they might be fake? Is it because they are not really a diary, but more of a list of his fears? Is it because some random guy called it a diary? NO ONE KNOWS. The article doesn't shed any light on it either.

This is why the BBC is wrong to do this and I am right to call them on it.

Bush Says He Hates 'Gays'

vs

Bush Harbors Disdain for 'Gays'.

Which is not clear? In #2 it could be some gay liberation front militant saying it, no one knows.

Comment

I agree with Wiglaf here. The way BBC uses quotes, it naturally reads that the thing quoted is in serious doubt. Usually no doubts are mentioned in the article, they're just covering their asses.

Comment

It's just a cultural thing, the British are rarely sure of anything and that comes out in their writing.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I 'approve' of this 'discussion.'
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
                I 'approve' of this 'discussion.'
                No "Weapons of Mass Destruction" were used in acquiring Oil for free waterboard rides
                Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Re: British police given guns, finally work out what they are for

Shooting back.
                  Well hell, yes. Unless you're a damned good rock chunker.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I think the BBC is just trolling anal people...

Comment

But you avoided biting

Comment

eye iz 2 l33t 4 dem "headlinez"

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                          It's just a cultural thing, the British are rarely sure of anything and that comes out in their writing.
                          And canadian writing demostrates what exactly
                          Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                          Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

an inferiority complex with their southern neighbor.
                            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by TheStinger

And canadian writing demostrates what exactly
                              The use of punctuation.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

So...after the Canadian Civil War, what would you imagine the outcome? Two separate Canadas?Three? One, ruled by the French?
                                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                                X