British police given guns, finally work out what they are for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British police given guns, finally work out what they are for

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Police return fire in shoot-out

Police have been involved in a gunfight on a London street.

Armed officers responded after members of the public reported gun shots being fired near the King's Road in Chelsea, south-west London on Tuesday.

The policemen were fired at and they "discharged their weapons" on Markham Square at about 1700 BST, a Metropolitan Police spokesman said.

He added the incident is ongoing and no injuries or arrests have so far been reported.

A police officer at the cordon told some local residents that shots were fired out of a jewellery shop called Folli Follie on the King's Road opposite the entrance to Markham Square, although this could not be confirmed.

The King's Road is completely shut and police have cordoned off large parts of the area. Ambulances have also been called to the scene and are on stand-by.

A number of shops on the stretch of King's Road facing Markham Square have been forced to close.

Some local people have spoken of hearing a number of shots being fired.

One woman, who was in the area and gave her name as Charlene, called BBC London and said: "Police were moving us back.

"Then I heard three shots. I'm not sure if it was the police or someone else."

Shop manager Shan Nimalakumar, 36, is locked in health store Holland and Barratt with one customer and two members of staff.

He said: "The police won't let us anywhere near. We are now stuck in the shop. They said 'stay in the shop, lock the door and go to the back'."

A waiter in Benihana restaurant said he and around 15 members of staff were stranded in the building.

He added: "I heard gun shots when I was outside, it was scary."

Shooting back.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

The policemen were fired at and they "discharged their weapons" on Markham Square at about 1700 BST, a Metropolitan Police spokesman said.

Masturbation month

Aside: why does the BBC often unnecessarily put quotes around words in their headlines?

Comment

I'm not a journo, but I would guess to indicate that it's a quote from someone- i.e. it is not a given fact.

It's a protection against being wrong.

Comment

Yes, but sometimes they use quotes for something that's just literally true, like "Some criminal 'convicted'" or "Random celebrity 'dies' age 92".

Comment

Like this : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7386496.stm

Comment

Because that couldn't possible be a fake, right?
            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Right. Thanks Laz.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

No, they're not fake, and the military released the diaries to the paper
                (http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ory?id=4790613).

Besides, it is awful journalism to imply in a headline that the subject of the article is fake and not investigate that in the article itself. They abuse the quotes in the headlines and should just abandon them unless it's clear why they are there.

Comment

Time to shoot up the joint
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                    Time to shoot up the joint
                    Time to 'shoot up' the 'joint'
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I called the police today. No guns though.

Comment

Just to chat?

Comment

No, an assault. A ned smacked a girl to the ground. They caught him, though.

Comment

ned?
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

A Scottish chav/townie.

Comment

Working...
                              X