Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If an Earth type world were discovered orbiting a nearby star, would we go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If an Earth type world were discovered orbiting a nearby star, would we go?

We need to get up to light speed, yes? Then the people get there within their own lives iirc. Thousands of years here on earth, so should we even bother?
    Yes, we must explore!
    90.91%
    No, use the $ for education!
    4.55%
    I dunno, maybe, I think, hmm, I umm...
    4.55%
    Banana
    0.00%
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Well, there is always the 'Human race getting wiped out by a meteor event' that colonising another world would solve...
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Of course we should go. Even if we manage to get a handle on the mess we're making of our current world, there is the meteor/comet/naturally occurring disasterous climate change possibility.

Gotta get off this rock and go **** up another!

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

You can go, provided you don't use any of my money. I'm staying.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I'd go.

Spec.
          -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Re: If an Earth type world were discovered orbiting a nearby star, would we go?

Originally posted by Lancer
            We need to get up to light speed, yes?
            No, even today we have the technology needed for a "generation ship." The only problem is no $$$.
            Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Spec
              I'd go.

Spec.
              Me too
              Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

How are the women?
                Monkey!!!

Comment

I think they'd send only prime examples of humanity, not internet geeks.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Serious answer:

How do you colonize another earth like planet that has it's own ecosystem and biological diversity? I mean what would happen if two different earth like bio-systems that formed separately came into contact?

Science Fiction shows like Star Trek always make colonizing a planet as simple as beaming down a bunch of f*ggots in spandex uniforms with equipment. But the reality is that it would be dangerous because who knows what kind of microbes exist and what they would do to human life and what earth microbes would do to life on the planet to be colonized.

Comment

It's rather unlikely that alien microbes would be able to do much to us. Unless, somehow, the same proteins and dna existed on the planet, I fail to see how they would be able to attack our bodies.

The bigger issue is that we'd very likely be allergic to alien proteins. An alien planet would likely be toxic to us.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                        The bigger issue is that we'd very likely be allergic to alien proteins. An alien planet would likely be toxic to us.
                        That's why we'd wear them space suits untill we figured all the chemistry out!
                        Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Also pretty much anything we ate on a planet with an alien ecosystem would do ****-all for us nutrition-wise, to really colonize it we'd have to pretty much replace the native ecosystem with Earth stuff.
                          Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

yup

Comment

It's rather unlikely that alien microbes would be able to do much to us. Unless, somehow, the same proteins and dna existed on the planet, I fail to see how they would be able to attack our bodies.
                              That applies to viruses, not microbes. Alien bacteria/fungus/protists would probably eat organic material (us) just as readily there as ours does here.
                              "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Working...
                              X