Have I mentioned that I Hate Unions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have I mentioned that I Hate Unions?

The TTC (Toronto Transit Commission) is the public transit in Toronto. It moves ~1.5 million people daily.

The TTC has been under intense financial strain lately. They've cancelled a bunch of bus routes and reduced service and even contemplated closing the newest subway line to save on costs.

The union's contract expired. They're making outrageous demands. The contract offered by the TTC, and accepted by the union's leadership, ensured they'd be the highest paid transit workers in Ontario and even had a clause to ensure that if any of the other transit workers got a raise in the Toronto area, they'd get at least a match.

It also offered 3% pay increase per year for 3 years (the length of the contract). It improves benefits across the board.

The union leadership accepted the deal on Sunday. But now union members have overwhelmingly rejected it.

The union is supposed to give 48 hours notice before striking. At 11pm tonight, they announced they are striking effective midnight tonight.

**** these clowns, bust the damn union. I'm sick of this ****. You drive a frickin' bus/streetcar/subway, you're already making too much, how dare you cripple a city and hold it hostage for more money.

TTC to strike at midnight
    TONY BOCK/TORONTO STAR
    A TTC streetcar driver continues down the Parliament route, April 25, 2008.

Apr 25, 2008 10:58 PM
    Tess Kalinowski
    Transportation Reporter
    Torontonians will wake up Saturday to find themselves hijacked by a transit strike.

Subways, streetcars and buses were being taken out of service late Friday night after the TTC workers union overwhelmingly rejected a tentative contract settlement reached last Sunday.

Unionized transit workers were notified by electronic voice mail late Friday evening that they were not to report for their shifts effective at midnight.

The message warned that the public would be upset because it was not receiving 48 hours notice of a strike but that the last vote had not been cast until 10 p.m.

The rejected deal, which gave the 9,000 drivers, maintenance workers and mechanics a 3 per cent increase in each year of a three-year contract, only narrowly averted a strike Monday morning.

But it was no sooner ratified by elected transit commissioners on Wednesday, when cracks began to emerge in the union's support for the contract.

That's when some mechanics and maintenance workers complained about vague language around job security and contracting out. There were other reports that some workers were dissatisfied that only drivers were covered by a new GTA clause that ensured they would be the highest paid operators in the Toronto region.

Some sources tonight told the Star that union president Bob Kinnear's leadership was in crisis.
    The union has been in a legal strike position since April 1 but had promised 48 hours notice of a service withdrawal.

Union officials were to hold a press conference at 11 tonight to explain their next move.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

The intangibles: This strike coincides directly with the start of exam season in Toronto.

Tens of thousands of transit-dependent students need to find a way to get to their exams in a timely manner now.

**** these clowns.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Our TA union went on strike just before exams and is now is claiming no one has any right to grade exams while they're on strike because that would constitute scabbing.
      "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
      -Joan Robinson

Comment

That's disgusting.

****ing hate unions...

Comment

Unions

Asher

Toronto

Comment

One of the comments on the Globe & Mail article:

I wish someone would pay me 50-60K to drive in a straight line, or sit at a turnstile with my shirt untucked reading a romance novel, or sitting in a glass enclosure eating a sandwich and acting surly, or telling me to move to the end of the platform, or watching shiny tokens drop into a box.

Actually, I don't want that. They can have it, but they should be paid half as much. Most of them should be lucky to have a job.

Comment

Do they seriously make 50-60K? That's absurd.

Comment

I actually have no idea what they make.

Comment

They make Asher angry...

Unions

Comment

Unionize my fist to your face.

Comment

Toronto

Unions wouldn't have the guts to do that in Montreal. We'd riot and burn their ****.
                      Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Their excuse for giving no notice like they promised is they were scared people would beat them down for giving strike notice...

Comment

The drivers of the subway cars make about $45-60k a year.

They are worth it As Asher is learning, they are more essential than janitors and trash collectors

Those who strike in this instance should however be tried and shot for treason in no particular order.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                            Unionize my fist to your face.
                            Sounds like a strike to me.

Comment

STRIKE THREE, I KNOCK YOU OUT.

Comment

Working...
                              X