Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which country does Finland belong to most?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does "Finlandization" mean? Serious. I have heard this used as a term outside of anything to do with Finland, but don't know what it connotes.

Comment

If Finland joins NATO and if Russia attacks Finland here's the NATO force commitment charts. These are rated 'TippyTop Secret' btw so don't tell anyone.
      Nation.....Troops pledged
      Poland ...800
      France....120
      GB..........20,000 and an aircraft carrier with a funny bump in front.
      Holland..3 advisors, all gay
      Germany..30 big breasted blond nurses
      United States of America, YEAH!!! YEAH!!!!....1,000,000
      Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by TCO
        What does "Finlandization" mean? Serious. I have heard this used as a term outside of anything to do with Finland, but don't know what it connotes.
        There was concern that Europe would undergo a process of Finlandization which means that they would totally cave to the demands of the mighty Sovs. Funny that what military might could not achieve will finally be done through natural gas.
        Long time member @ Apolyton
        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Bottom line is that we have the heritage of conquering wilderness. We ARE EXPLORERS. We are killers. Rest of Europe are little slimy fvcks still half way beholden to monarchies. We on the other hand will LITERALLY cut balls off.

Comment

Whaaaat?

They say we were dominated by Swedes. Which is true, but then again, Finns were the frontline of Swedes in wars during those times, as in the real jackass bonehead fighters to be used. You can call it cannon fodder, I prefer glorious battlefield warriors. That's why they ruled after all

There was nothing much to be really pissed off about with Swedes OR Russia at the time anyway. The czars were good to us and we had autonomy, and was granted independence. There was not much problems from that side.

The real problems came with what resulted in the civil war, however, that was also a civil war. Germany backed up the "whites" and Russia backed up the "reds". Whites one, some German dude was supposed to come here and rule, but he never came, and there was this WWI and Germany was in trouble. So Germany sort of saved us, was supposed to rule us but because of other engagements, it never happened.

So then there was another conflict, WWII. It went OK, Germany came to help us, nazis if you will. So the reds were pushed back and Germany once again lost their marbles, which once again benefited us the most.

So when ever we are in trouble, it's from the east, Germany comes in for the rescue, then because of the world events Germany gets in trouble and we end up benefiting from it all, as in thanks Germany and thanks for losing as well so we don't owe you anything. That's the fun facts for tonight.

There's been other smaller conflicts before those two wars, but nothing spectacular. So caving in is sort of... it can be interpreted. It sure happened in political level, no question about that. But it was pretty optimal. We share our longest border with Russia, so you kind of have to get along with them. It's not size matters but sometimes it's smart to get along. I think what counts is when that goes too far, what do you do then, and I don't see anything shameful really in that, because there hasn't been real prison rapes going on.

But there's been political caving in for sures. Not so much today though. But in the past, yes. But that's the realities of life. The main goal of any nation is to stay independent and keep the rule of the self, after all. But not at any price. THere's always a price for everything. You just have to pick your spots.

I guess what I'm saying is that it doesn't count if you're geographically isolated It counts when you live right next to that big beast.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

lloook upmpecka hetiall and that oaece hn frnce

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                They're conquering it one restaurant waiter position at a time.
                Nah, that was in the 1960's when few hundred thousand Finns moved to Sweden for work.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
                  When did Finland conquer Sweden?
                  Weellll, neither really conquered neither. Swedes, long ago, though they should stake some sort of claim on the wilderness east of them. We were too drunk to notice.
                  I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Working...
                  X