I feel bad for Albertans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel bad for Albertans

EDMONTON - Western Canada's spring bout of winter weather may have people seeing red as they shovel the white stuff, but it has proven a godsend for parched prairie soil.

A slow-moving upper low pressure system from the Pacific, fed by lingering Arctic cold air, continued Monday to park itself over the Prairies, delivering snow and freezing rain from Alberta to Manitoba.

The snow dump - which reached 40 centimetres in some regions of Alberta over the weekend - snarled roads and led to multiple car crashes, including a collision near Olds, Alta., involving a semi-truck and a car that left one person dead.

The blustery conditions were all the more irritating because Canadians in Central Canada were basking in balmy temperatures - with forecasts suggesting the sunshine was to continue through the week.
    Dan Kulak of Environment Canada said snowfall amounts were around 20 centimetres in the major cities - a big dump but far from the 48 centimetres recorded one May day in Calgary 27 years ago.

It's spring, it's Canada, it's the Prairies. Deal with it, said Kulak, a warning preparedness meteorologist.

"Don't take the snow tires off yet. I'm not saying we're going to get a dump in May, but May is notorious for having big storms when they do happen."

Temperatures were not expected to get back above the freezing mark until the end of the week, and, even then, they were expected to be 10 degrees cooler than the seasonal average.

I feel bad for them. I really do.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

What a ****hole.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I'm sure it helped the Flames dominate last night.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I wouldn't know as I've been "basking in balmy temperatures - with forecasts suggesting the sunshine was to continue through the week".
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

It was chilly here today too. I was almost tempted to put my t-shirt back on while down at the beach. Almost...

Comment

but did you have 40cm of snow?

Comment

In the last century? Maybe...

Comment

Re: I feel bad for Albertans

Originally posted by Wezil

I feel bad for them. I really do.
                Why? It's not like we have to live with a bunch of Texans.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

NYE: 1 SlowwHand: 0
                  bleh

Comment

That's not really correct. We wouldn't have him.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Texas would be a great place if it weren't for the Texans.

The Mexicans have to try harder.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Re: Re: I feel bad for Albertans

Originally posted by notyoueither
                        Why? It's not like we have to live with a bunch of Texans.
                        But you do have oil and rodeos - it makes me worried.
                        Long live the Dead Threads!!

Comment

And cows. Don't forget the cows, even if ours tend towards the whacky.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)

Comment

At least they have the Edmonton Oilers, the greatest hockey team of the last quarter century.
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

They missed the playoffs.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X