• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlowwHand

"Nutmeg is extremely poisonous if injected intravenously."
    So are pianos.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Apparently, the largest living organism by mass is an Aspen stand and the largest living organism by area is likely a fungus or a sea plant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest_living_organism

The Aspen tree (Populus tremuloides) forms large stands of genetically identical trees (technically, stems) connected by a single underground root system. These trees form through root sprouts coming off an original parent tree, though the root system may not remain a single unit in all specimens. The largest known fully-connected Aspen is a grove in Utah nicknamed Pando, and some experts call it the largest[1] organism in the world, by mass or volume.[2] It covers 43 hectares (.43 km²) and is estimated to weigh 6,600 short tons (6,000 t). [3]

A giant fungus of the species Armillaria ostoyae in the Malheur National Forest in Oregon was found to span 8.9 km² (2,200 acres)[4], which would make it the largest organism by area. Whether or not this is an actual individual organism, however, is disputed: some tests have indicated that they have the same genetic makeup [5], but unless its mycelium is fully connected, it is a clonal colony of numerous smaller individuals. Another clonal colony that rivals the Armillaria and the Populus colonies in size is a strand of the giant marine plant, Posidonia oceanica, discovered in the Mediterranean Sea near the Balearic Islands. It covers a band roughly 8 km (4.3 miles) in length.[6]
      I guess we know where Frank Herbert got his idea from for the dominant form of life in "The Jesus Incident". (And likewise for Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri's dominant form of life on Planet.)
      Last edited by Alinestra Covelia; April 24, 2008, 15:16.
      "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Originally posted by Nostromo
        Really?
        Let's see...

-mysoginist
        -no known relationship with a woman
        -hosted a young man under his roof
        -received a letter from another young man saying he was jealous he couldn't live with him

You connect the dots.
        In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

-mysoginist
          -no known relationship with a woman
          -hosted a young man under his roof
          -received a letter from another young man saying he was jealous he couldn't live with him
          I miss the real Boris too
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Whatever you meant, I guess it's cute.
            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

You aren't aware of the antics of real Boris?
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

[q=rah]A barnacle has the largest penis of any other animal in the world in relation to its size. I just don't know what to say about this. [/q]

Oh, I know this, I spent a week (by far too much time, regardleess of what Ph. D students say) counting the amounts and what type where where on a beach...
                You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

You are at least four times more likely to choke to death on a Brazil nut than accidentally impregnate an otter.
                  The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

a pig's orgasm lasts for 30 minutes

some lions mate over 50 times a day

87.5% of percentages are made up on the spot
                    "Life is the only RPG you'll ever play, The religious want to be one with the moderator, the scientists want to hack the game, and the gamers want to do both."

Comment

Working...
                    X