Abortion Art--HOORAY!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abortion Art--HOORAY!

Read about this in the WaPo today. First she says she did it, then that she faked it, and now, apparently, that she actually did it but can't be sure she was preggers. Artificial insemination costs money, of course, but who knows what a Yale art major considers a wise investment? The reality of the exhibit is of secondary concern to me, given the number of abortions in America every day.

What I wonder is, what's up with this chick? Was she looking for notoriety or a book deal, or did she live in enough of a bubble to think this would be just another weird art project? Does she already have a plan to check her mail for letter bombs and track down all the death threats she might get? Most of all, I wonder: WTF?

Explanation for those who can't be arsed to read: this Yale art student supposedly spent several months getting artificially inseminated while taking abortifacients, and turning the resulting miscarriages into material for an art project (including, apparently, a plastic cube full of blood and vaseline, plus some video footage).

EDIT: http://www.yaledailynews.com/articles/view/24559

Linked to in the article, but I thought I'd direct-link too. It's WTF-tastic. She's a PoMo, of course...
    Last edited by Elok; April 18, 2008, 17:12.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

The answer, of course, is that the girl needs psychological help.
    B♭3

Comment

If I could find a picture I'm sure I'd be grossed out, but one wasn't available.

Comment

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

A guy was just speaking of this to me earlier here at work. I'm assuming it's the same thing. I'm not clicking the link.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

It doesn't contain pictures of the "art," just her explanation of the process and the deranged reasoning behind it. It's the best argument against allowing postmodernism to continue its existence since the Sokal affair.
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

And she had it cleared by her instructor or whomever beforehand. There's a person right there that needs to be looking for a new job, wanting to or not. Disgusting.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Re: Abortion Art--HOORAY!

Originally posted by Elok
                She's a PoMo, of course...
                PoMo
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The school has been going WTFbonkers over this. Pretty much everyone read the article yesterday and totally went "WTF." Then administration said it was a hoax, but oddly, the News didn't put any sort of retraction on its website. Then I heard from a friend who works there that they had, erm, "evidence" that it wasn't a hoax. :vomit:
                  "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Didn't some MIT kid wear some electronics around her kneck at an airport in order to make a scene a while back?
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Not quite comparable, DaShi.

Comment

Good, because that wasn't my intent.
                        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

If this is a hoax, I think this girl and the MIT kid are pretty comparable, although the MIT kid is probably stupider because that's obviously going to get you arrested.

If this isn't a hoax...
                          "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

What she should have done instead was got a little kid killed it and made some art out of it's body. made it up like it was a cdharade and than showed it was true. Just like that Hitchcock movie, THE ROPE. Yeah!

Comment

Didn't someone eat a baby on British TV once? Why do I know all this?
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                              X