New Olympic Sport - Grab the Torch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Olympic Sport - Grab the Torch

We can thank the Brits for introducing a new sport to the world.

LONDON - Demonstrators grabbed at the Olympic torch, blocked its path and tried to snuff out its flame Sunday in raucous protests of China's human rights record that forced a string of last-second changes to a chaotic relay through London.

The biggest protests since last month's torch-lighting in Greece tarnished China's hope for a harmonious prelude to a Summer Games celebrating its rise as a global power.

Instead, the flame's epic journey from Greece to Beijing has become a stage for activists decrying China's recent crackdown on Tibetans and support for Sudan despite civilian deaths in Darfur.

Demonstrators attempted to board the bus trailing the torch shortly after British five-time gold medal rower Steve Redgrave started the relay at Wembley Stadium.

Less than an hour later,a protester slipped through a tight police cordon and gripped the torch before he was thrown to the ground and arrested.

"Before I knew what was happening this guy had lurched toward me and was grabbing the torch out of my hand and I was determinedly clinging on," former children's television host Konnie Huq told BBC television.

"I do feel for the cause," she said. "I think that China have got a despicable human rights record."

Another demonstrator tried to snuff the flame with a spray of white powder from a fire extinguisher. Still others threw themselves in the torch's path. They were tackled or dragged off by police.

Authorities said 37 people were arrested.

London's Metropolitan police said some 2,000 officers, on foot, motorcycles, bikes and on horseback tried to keep the procession under control.

One group of Tibetan protesters was corralled in metal barricades across from Bloomsbury Square.

"It feels like we are restrained like a sheep in a barn," said Passang Dolne, 27, a Tibetan national who works as a nurse in London. "It really hurts."

Chinese nationals about 100 metres away were allowed to move freely as they waved Chinese flags distributed by the Chinese Embassy and the Bank of China.

"We don't like the Tibet people who use this time against the Chinese. It's not a proper venue," said Ting Yan, 27.

The demonstration swelled near where Chinese Ambassador Fu Ying was expected to carry the torch.

Frantic organizers shuffled the order of participants and Fu unexpectedly appeared in the heart of Chinatown, jogging unhindered with the torch before handing it to the next runner.

"Maybe on TV screens there might be some chaotic spin," Chinese embassy spokesman Liu Weimin told the BBC from the relay convoy.

"I saw more smiling faces, waving hands, and thumbs-up welcoming the Olympic relay."

But there were ugly scenes between Trafalgar Square and Big Ben, where a dozen protesters charged the torch.

"Everyone was running at (me). It was a bit weird," said Scott Earley Jr., 17, the torchbearer at the time.

About 100 demonstrators managed to briefly impede the flame's progress by surrounding it near St. Paul's Cathedral, forcing police to put the flame on a bus before continuing.

The torch was closely followed in east London by dozens of demonstrators shouting "Shame on China!"

Police stopped to form a protective phalanx three or four officers deep every time the torch was handed to a new runner.

British Prime Minister Gordon Brown briefly greeted the flame when it arrived outside his Downing Street residence.

Brown never handled the torch, but watched as Olympic gold medallist Denise Lewis handed it to Paralympic powerlifting hopeful Ali Jawad.

Pro-Tibet demonstrators and police clashed metres away near Britain's Parliament buildings.

The torch made it unscathed to the O2 Arena in Greenwich after more than seven fraught hours that belied the London event's theme: "Journey of Harmony."

"There was definitely a bit of an edge," British tennis player Tim Henman, one of the torchbearers, told The Associated Press.

Olympics Minister Tessa Jowell later said Britain was celebrating the Olympics, not China's human rights record.

"The welcome of the Olympic torch to London is not the same as condoning the human rights regime in China or condoning the treatment of Tibet," she told the BBC.

There had been scattered protests before the torch reached London, and more are expected as the flame moves on to Paris, San Francisco and New Delhi.

"They've called the torch relay a journey of harmony, but on the ground in Tibet they are shooting and killing peaceful Tibetan protesters," said Matt Whitticase, spokesman for the London-based Free Tibet Campaign.

"We want to use the momentum gathered over this weekend to really press our case that the torch should not be allowed to be paraded triumphantly by China."

French torchbearers will be encircled Monday by several hundred officers, some in riot police vehicles and on motorcycles, others on skates and on foot.

Three boats were also to patrol the Seine River, and a helicopter was to fly over Paris, police said.

The head of Reporters Without Borders, arrested in Greece last month for protesting during the flame-lighting ceremony there, said the group had altered its initial plans because of the heavy police turnout.

Without giving away details, Robert Menard promised protests would nonetheless be "spectacular."

The French are next. Let's see if they understand this new freewheeling sport.
    Last edited by Wezil; April 6, 2008, 22:55.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Respect the Torch!
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

The IOC wants this sort of reaction. Why else did they pick China?
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

That's a good point. The Olympics were so 2004 until this stuff started happening.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

HAHAHAHA!

I'm going to steal the torch!

AND THEN I'M GOING TO BURN IT!

...oh wait...
          APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
            That's a good point. The Olympics were so 2004 until this stuff started happening.
            Exactly. It's tough competing for the modern entertainment dollar.

Comment

Well done by the French.

PARIS - Security officials have extinguished the Olympic flame amid heavy protests during the torch relay in Paris.

Police in jogging gear put the flame out and brought the torch aboard a bus, apparently to move it away from protesters.

The flame was being carried down a road along the Seine River amid demonstrators carrying Tibetan flags when the relay was stopped.

It'sot immediately clear what police plan next, or when or where the relay will resume.

About 3,000 police - riding motorcycles, jogging or travelling on skates - are on hand to protect the Olympic torch.

The flame relay started Monday at the Eiffel Tower.

That's twice now the torch has been extringuished on this journey.

Are the Chinese "losing face" yet?
              Last edited by Wezil; April 7, 2008, 10:48.

Comment

let's hope so. good on the protestors.
                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Let's see if they can steal or otherwise destroy the backup flame too.
                  Graffiti in a public toilet
                  Do not require skill or wit
                  Among the **** we all are poets
                  Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Apparently there are another 16-18 countries to go. This should be an awesome prelude to the official games.

Three cheers to the IOC for making life interesting.

Comment

So far the French are certainly in the lead here.
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I predict that only the San Francisco, Bombay, Canberra and Seoul teams might be able to catch them.
                        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The French have set the bar rather high. They will be tough to beat. It is a young sport however so there is plenty of room for improvement among the teams.

Comment

Akra...
                            Attached Files
                            The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Kudos to the first city that can kidnap the torch.
                              Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Working...
                              X