Cannabis legalization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannabis legalization

Personally I think Cannabis should be legalized, because people should be free to decide what they want to do with their own bodies, and because it seems to be less dangerous than for example alcohol or tobacco.

And because the current prohibition puts lots of money in the hands of criminals, money which could go to the government as tax.

Not that I have ever tried cannabis, or have any plans to, but I support legalization for the principle of it, because it is so obviously the right thing to do.

But there does not seem to be any real discussion about legalization at the levels of government which have the power to do something about it.

I came across this video, which illustrates the point nicely...

Antonio Maria Costa (Executive Director of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime): I will answer any question
    Dr. Polak: Why is Cannabis usage lower in the the Netherlands than in surrounding contries where it is illegal
    Antonio Maria Costa: *weaves around question* *thunderous applause*
    Dr. Polak: You did not answer my question
    Antonio Maria Costa: *Fuck off*
    etc...

People who behave like Antonio Maria Costa should not hold a job with any power whatsoever.

http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Hmmm, I am, infact for criminalization of smoking tobacco. Because it bloody stinks, and makes me cough. Does cannabis stink? Does it make me cough? If so, boo.
    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Considering the fact that all countries on the world (wel, at least all that I know of) have legalized alcohol (which has much more potential to make you an addict and destroy your life than cannabis) I think that it should be legalized.

Either this or also making alcohol and nicotine (which also might lead to an addiction, not unlike cannabis) illegal.
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I gave up marijuana a long time ago... but not because it was illegal. Giving up tobacco has been much more of a hassle.

I don't think legalization would make much of a difference where I live at least. Anyone who wants to smoke it can get it, fairly inexpensively, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST
          Considering the fact that all countries on the world (wel, at least all that I know of) have legalized alcohol (which has much more potential to make you an addict and destroy your life than cannabis) I think that it should be legalized.

Either this or also making alcohol and nicotine (which also might lead to an addiction, not unlike cannabis) illegal.
          Without actually checking, I would think alcohol was illegal in at least Saudi Arabia.
          http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Unfortunately, cannabis is certainly not less dangerous to society than tobacco, and if used similarly to alcohol would also be much worse than alcohol (although it's much easier to consume alcohol, so it ends up probably as bad or worse).
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
              if used similarly to alcohol would also be much worse than alcohol
              Based upon what evidence?
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Based on the fact that people are more impaired by smoking a marijuana cig than by having one drink? Drinking one beer does not substantially impair you. It's the fact that you drink six in an hour or two that impairs you.
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

With all of the socialized medicine in the first world, including the US, I think it more likely that tobacco will be outlawed than marijuana made legal.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Re: Cannabis legalization

Originally posted by Thue
                    Personally I think Cannabis should be legalized, because people should be free to decide what they want to do with their own bodies,
                    Worst possible argument. So people should be able to smoke crack also?
                    and because it seems to be less dangerous than for example alcohol or tobacco.
                    What does that have to do with anything?
                    And because the current prohibition puts lots of money in the hands of criminals, money which could go to the government as tax.
                    The money still goes somewhere if it is legal. The only difference is taht you've made it legal. So now the govt is the drug dealer. What is teh purpose of this part of your argument?
                    Not that I have ever tried cannabis, or have any plans to, but I support legalization for the principle of it, because it is so obviously the right thing to do.
                    How can you propose to legalize something that you haven't even tried? And also, why wouldn't you ever try it?
                    But there does not seem to be any real discussion about legalization at the levels of government which have the power to do something about it.

I came across this video, which illustrates the point nicely...

Antonio Maria Costa (Executive Director of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime): I will answer any question
                    Dr. Polak: Why is Cannabis usage lower in the the Netherlands than in surrounding contries where it is illegal
                    Antonio Maria Costa: *weaves around question* *thunderous applause*
                    etc...

People who behave like Antonio Maria Costa should not hold a job with any power whatsoever.

Waht a bunch of nonsense. Legalizing marijuana is not going to decrease usage. Legalizing alcohol certainly has not. I mean who the hell would want to buy their pot from someone when they have no recourse when they get ripped off. If you buy it in the store you can get your money back if it's bunk or at the least you can call teh BBB. Making pot legal is just going to encourage more usage just like alcohol and tobacco.
                    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                      Based on the fact that people are more impaired by smoking a marijuana cig than by having one drink? Drinking one beer does not substantially impair you. It's the fact that you drink six in an hour or two that impairs you.
                      And how many people stop at just one drink?
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil

And how many people stop at just one drink?
                        People who aren't alcoholics.
                        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

One of my "official" positions.

4.) Legalize Marijuana. That’s right. Bet you didn't see that coming from me. That drug is no worse than alcohol, and honestly the amount of drug enforcement time and money that goes into countering it is retarded. Legalize it, regulate it, and tax it. It will never be as big a commercial item as cigarettes because it is much easier to grow your own weed than tobacco, but I bet the convenience of picking up a pack of joints from your gas station would generate a good bit of revenue.

And more importantly, it would increase by an odd 35% instantly the resources available to combat drugs and narcotics that are actually dangerous. Not to mention a pet theory of mine is that off the bat, since marijuana will be legal and easy and non dangerous it will absorb a good bit of demand for the other drugs anyways.
                          "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Worst possible argument. So people should be able to smoke crack also?
                            yes, if they so choose.

why should you care anyway, it's none of your business. it shouldn't be the state's business either.
                            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

I agree with that, but how does that reconsile with nationalized medicine?
                              "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Working...
                              X