No announcement yet.

Masked cyberterrorists raid NYC and SF, give out hugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Datajack is a Suppressive Person.

Let teh good Tehtans into your soul, Datajack, and you will be saved
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

People are people-judging machines. We evolved to tell apart friend from fake friend from foe. Social interaction is the primary purpose of our brains. The entire civilization we have built is an interesting side effect.

People are not as helpless in joining cults as it seems and we definitely can't protect people from social interactions that may prove damaging to them in the long run.

I'm all for punishing cults who break the law but persecuting them just because they are weird is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
        People are not as helpless in joining cults as it seems
        This *is* true - Scientology has an enormous turnover rate, in the order of 95% every 3-5 years according to F.A.C.T.net's estimate. This gives me hope: Most victims can be helped, even after several years inside... but they do need to get the facts about the cult.

and we definitely can't protect people from social interactions that may prove damaging to them in the long run.
        You aren't throwing the old "we can't do this with 100% precision so let's not do it at all" defeatism at me, are you?

I'm all for punishing cults who break the law but persecuting them just because they are weird is wrong.
        Weird? Uh... consider this: Compare The Wall of Fire (i.e. the Xenu story) and the Book of Revelation. Extremely weird stuff happens in both - the Wall of Fire story might be slightly more imaginative, but if the Book of Revelation were the canon of a cult like Scientology, it'd get ridiculed, too. Both are taken literally by some, and figuratively by some, too. We don't have a problem with people believing in weird stuff. We'd have to go up against every world religion if we did.

The reason why we are unearthing and revealing to the world the crimes and abuses of this cult, and trying to reconnect its victims to the outside world, is that we want to dismantle the cult in its present form. If we succeed, there will still be plenty of Scientologists around - which will be a beautiful, admirable thing, since they have a right to believe - but they won't be led by bastards who abuse that faith anymore.
        This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Originally posted by Ari Rahikkala You aren't throwing the old "we can't do this with 100% precision so let's not do it at all" defeatism at me, are you?
          I'm certainly not denying your right to try and save people from Scientology.

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
            However as I learned more about them I have become convinced that they are not much more dangerous than any other cult.
            Now they're not too dangerous, since the efforts of protesters over the past few decades (especially online) has eviscerated them. They have to keep grabbing and draining new members of their money to keep their whole intimidation machine running, and thanks to all the exposure recently they're having a tough time of it. They're starting to die, and it's only a matter of time until they collapse quite abruptly. They might be able to save themselves with a great deal of effort and ingenuity, but they've shown they are unwilling or unable to change tactics. Sucks to be them.

Now, if you think they don't have the capacity to be much worse than other cults, I suggest you look up Operation Snow White. Forget Freakout, they infiltrated the damned FBI!
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV
              Scientology does not destroy people lives, it offers the greatest enlightenment one could hope to achieve as a mortal. The reason it gets attacked by these idiots is because people are afraid and ignorant, like the peasant masses of past ages. Scientology is the light in this modern dark age. Please have respect for people's beliefs.
              Finally a voice of reason.

Comment

Actually, forget what I said about them not having much power anymore. I'm glad I don't live in Los Angeles :/.
                This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Cults
                  My secret (until now) dream is to become a cult leader

Comment

What, so you can have your choice of virgins to have sex with?

Comment

Working...
                    X