Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why didn't General Pershing ever go into Politics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andemagne
    why isn't this thread in the History Forum?
    The long overdue merge back into the OT has begun.

Pershing didn't want to be a president. He preferred to have a missile named after him.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Also Winfred Scott (important in the Mexican-American War) tried to become President but failed.
      Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

This must be moved to the History subforum.
        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Saying that Old Hickory and Washington weren't professional soldiers is a bit like saying Socrates wasn't a philosopher because he didn't have a Ph.d

Comment

Originally posted by TheStinger

Uk went form being the largest creditor in the worls to the largest debtor, following WW1 the US became the financial powerhouse int he world at the expense of the UK.

If thats not special I'm not sure what is
            The US became that financial powerhouse before WW1,or else how might we have lent so much? It was of course still at GB's expense, but Churchill and Keynes worked to fix the things you were doing that lead to that, and were atleast partially successful in the lead up to WW2.

Originally posted by Andemagne
            isn't this why US entered the war? if UK loses to the germans, they can't pay back the dept.
            All those US businesses would have been screwed if the UK became part of Greater Deutschland, so yes that was a major reason, but the official one was the German sinking of the Lusitania.

Comment

Originally posted by unscratchedfoot
              You should try reading something other than the usual, cookie-cutter newsites and the newspapers to learn what really goes on.
              why don't you post some links.
              My Words Are Backed With Bad Attitude And VETERAN KNIGHTS!

Comment

Originally posted by Whoha

The US became that financial powerhouse before WW1,or else how might we have lent so much? It was of course still at GB's expense, but Churchill and Keynes worked to fix the things you were doing that lead to that, and were atleast partially successful in the lead up to WW2.

All those US businesses would have been screwed if the UK became part of Greater Deutschland, so yes that was a major reason, but the official one was the German sinking of the Lusitania.
                The US whilst by 1914 was the largest economy the UK was still the largest lender of money to the world economy. It leant so much to the French and others in WW1 it then had to go to the US to borrow. This led to the the US being the worlds largest net creditor.

Lots of UK holdings in the US had to be sold, with most of the remaing ones following in WW2
                Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Move this to the History subforum, it is still there you know.
                  Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                  The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                  The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Working...
                  X