How much is appropriate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much is appropriate?

I went to dinner tonight at Luby's Cafateria and when I sat down I was approached by a "server" who introduced himself and said my name is....I'll be your server tonight. Now I'm thinking this is a cafateria. I went through the line, got my own tray, picked out my own food, carried my own tray to the table, unloaded my own tray, even went so far as to put my tray up in the appropriate spot and sat down and proceeded to eat my dinner quitely. I am almost through with my dinner, literally had about three bites of fish left and a bit of roll and a couple of bites of salad left. He comes to the table asked me if I would like somemore water? Yes please. He has to walk all of about 2 feet and pours me a glass of water. As I was getting ready to leave I stacked up my dishes and wiped the crumbs in my napkin and placed it on my plates.

So since I did most of not all the work except for pouring a glass of water am I really expected to tip this person for pouring me a glass of water? Look, I'm not cheep and I pride myself in being a very good tipper as I used to wait tables for about three years so it's not like I haven't been there. But really? Am I supposed to tip this guy because he poured me one glass of water? And if I am how much is appropriate?
    Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
    Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
    Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
    You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

I like to leave monopoly money as tips then run out of the restaurant.

Comment

Yeah, I must say, this sounds a little cheeky and I would be tempted not to tip as it sounds like a bit of a cheap trick.
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I sorta felt bad cause he glared at me as I left, but seriously!! My dinner was only $8 and all he did was bring me water. Was I supposed to leave him a dollar for that?
        Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild

Comment

I might have left a dollar, but you shouldn't feel bad for not leaving one. Besides that, so many places already tack on a tip to your meal price anyway, which I hate. Don't know if Luby's does that or not.

Comment

Tips are not automatic. This "server" ignored you until you only had three bites left? Water or no water, that's a NO tipper to me.

I always tip well like you do, but I am not shy about making a statement about Bad service eithier.
            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

... you could always get a decent minimum wage and not tip at all. That's what we do in Australia. Each to their own, I guess.

Comment

Do not be ridiculous. This server is a known douche bag, and having been a bus boy at a respectable restaurant, I know who's putting in the effort and who's whacking off on the job. You should have written something incriminating but highly rewarding on the tab, just so he (and his manager) understand he's a complete tool.

Comment

A buck a person.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Dracon II
                    ... you could always get a decent minimum wage and not tip at all. That's what we do in Australia. Each to their own, I guess.
                    That just encourages mediocrity, which is something Australia has that market cornered.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

We have the market cornered on mediocrity? Do elaborate.

Comment

Alexander's Horse
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Asher

Dracon, your name and avatar are mildly ironic considering Australia was recently nothing more than an oversized jail. The country has produced little more than a defunct crocodile hunter and a useless but pretty opera house. If I am missing anything please let me know but I think this has been a fair post.

Comment

You don't tip at Lubys for god's sake. (Wow, that takes me back, haven't been to a Luby's for nearly two decades I think...)

If someone takes your order and brings you your food while you're sitting down, then you tip them. If someone cleans the table after you leave, you don't. Simple rule I only make exceptions for very exceptional service in either direction (no tip for VERY exceptionally bad service, although certainly the percentage varies; a tip for VERY exceptional service at a non-sit down restaurant.)
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                              A buck a person.
                              Seriously Sloww??!?!! A dollar for bringing me a glass of water? Hmm.... maybe I was wrong then. And I am also one who lets them know with their tip how their service was, but if I'm being served and even if it's bad I still always leave something. I just didn't feel that this warrented it.

See I sorta agree with Snoopy. It's freekin' Luby's! You gotta know when you take a job there that the customers pretty much do your job for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X