Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm going to be a motorized vehicle owner.... yay.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm getting less excited about this vehicle.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Yeah, i'd not buy that car.

It's possible to find a good very-old car, my dad in ~1991 found a 1979 Mazda G-7 hatchback (not sure on the model precisely) with ~90k miles for $1k that lasted until 1996 when he sold it and bought his (new) Firebird. Cost very little to maintain, just a new clutch and a couple of new starters, but he replaced the starters himself (not the clutch though), probably $2k in total maintenance over 5 years which isn't bad.

BUT, you have to be very lucky and knowledgable about cars in order to be able to pick something out like that ... I don't think i'd ever buy a car in the range $1500 because the odds are it'll cost way too much to repair. If there's a 30% chance a car at $1500 is a total lemon, and a 60% chance it will cost $5k in repair costs over the first two years, then you're really paying nearly $5k for it ...
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
        Sadly, 25MPG is considered 'good' nowadays
        Only in the 'States. Still, at least you got over the 8mpg thing you had going over there in the 70's.

I heard once that even recently designers for the US market never bothered investing in the subtleties of aerodynamics for fuel economy. I had assumed it to be an urban myth, but I sometimes wonder...

Comment

Well the guy with the Jeep is a liar. It has 200k miles on it. I'm not buying a car from a liar.
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Re: I'm going to be a motorized vehicle owner.... yay.

Originally posted by Kidicious
            Are Jeeps good?
            No.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

That would make more sense for an engine rebuild.
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                Well the guy with the Jeep is a liar. It has 200k miles on it. I'm not buying a car from a liar.
                He merely misspoke because he was under sniper fire at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Really? I get annoyed when my mileage is under 30mpg.

I agree with Che!
                  Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                  1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

The good news is the Jeep straight six lasts for ever the bad news is the MPG aren't that good. My dad still owns an 1986 Jeep Comanche which he uses for hauling wood and other stuff around his property. It's always good to have an old truck laying around.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil

The engine was rebuilt before 100K miles?

I find this troublesome.
                      Yeah, something wrong with that. The Jeep straight six should get 200k-300k miles easily before a rebuild is needed. On the Jeep web sites it isn't difficult to find people with straight sixes which make it to 500k before the rebuild. Those are very solid engines.

Comment

Originally posted by Donegeal

I agree with Che!
                        You sound like a very wise man.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Kid, do you have any credit at all? I know you went through a divorce and that can thrash your credit but your $1500 in pocket would make a nice down and the number and quality of cars that could be found for $10k is a lot more then $2k if you know what I mean. There are a lot of really good late model Accords which could be had in the $8k-$10k zone.

Comment

Wait a couple years and I'll sell you what's left of my car. Cheap.
                            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

VW Golf GTi, you can get one dirt cheap and they're really fun to drive!
                              Last edited by Zoid; March 26, 2008, 18:28.
                              I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by Zoid
                                WW Golf GTi, you can get one dirt cheap and they're really fun to drive!
                                I know it's a german car, but to call it World War may be an exaggeration
                                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                                X