X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battle for Basra

Iraq forces battle Basra militias

Iraqi PM Nouri Maliki is in Basra supervising the operation

Heavy fighting has been raging in Basra as thousands of Iraqi troops battle Shia militias in the southern city.
    At least 30 people have died in the operation, which is being overseen in Basra by Iraqi PM Nouri Maliki, a day after he vowed to "re-impose law".

Oil-rich Basra is in the grip of a bitter turf war between armed groups, including the Mehdi Army, analysts say.

Clashes have spread to other parts of Iraq, including Baghdad's Sadr City, where the Mehdi Army fought rival Shia.

The Mehdi Army - which supports radical Shia cleric Moqtada Sadr - has threatened a nationwide campaign of civil disobedience.

The powerful militia declared a truce last August which had been credited with helping restore stability to parts of Iraq.

Sealed off

The BBC's Adam Brookes says three Iraqi army brigades were deployed from Baghdad to Basra as back-up for the offensive, and that up to 15,000 troops could be involved.

Basra is the lifeline of Iraq. Most of Iraq's oil exports go through Basra

Some of the fiercest fighting in the operation - dubbed Saulat al-Fursan (Charge of the Knights) - has focused on Mehdi Army strongholds.

British military spokesman Maj Tom Holloway told the BBC no UK troops were involved on the ground but its forces have carried out air surveillance to support Iraqi army tanks and artillery.

The UK military returned control of Basra to the Iraqis in December and concentrated its forces at the city airport.

The Iraqi commander in charge, Lt Gen Ali Ghaidan, said the operation aimed to purge Basra of what he called "outlaws".

Moqtada Sadr has threatened "general civil disobedience"

He said his forces had confiscated weapons and roadside bombs during raids across Iraq's second city.

Routes into Basra have been sealed off, according to reports.

One resident of the city told the BBC: "The streets are very dangerous, there's continuous exchange of fire in areas very close to my house, even though my neighbourhood is relatively safer than others."

The BBC's Paul Wood says the fighting in Basra can be seen as the government trying to impose law and order but also as part of the power struggle within the Shia community.

He says such intra-Shia violence could be just as dangerous to hopes of peace as sectarian hatreds or the insurgency.

Curfew

The offensive comes a day after the authorities in Basra imposed an indefinite night-time curfew.

Police have now also imposed curfews in the cities of Kut, Samawa, Nasiriyah, Hilla and Diwaniyah.

Moqtada Sadr called for "general civil disobedience in Baghdad and the Iraqi provinces" if the attacks did not end.

The raids come a day after a curfew was imposed in Basra

In Sadr City, Mehdi Army fighters reportedly ordered Iraqi police and soldiers out of the district and there have been clashes between rival militias.

Hundreds of protesters marched in the Iraqi capital, calling on shops to shut.

The Mehdi Army also took control of several areas in Kut, 175km (110 miles) south-east of Baghdad.

Moqtada Sadr last month renewed the group's ceasefire, under which it pledged not to attack rival armed groups or American forces in Iraq.

But the truce is said to have come under strain in recent weeks as US and Iraqi forces detained militia members.

Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari told the BBC: "Militias have taken over almost the city and law and order has collapsed, although it is not a hopeless case because the government is taking measures to reverse the situation.

"Remember, Basra is the lifeline of Iraq. Most of Iraq's oil exports go through Basra."
    An absolute ritical step in establishing a legitimate Iraqi government in Bagdad.

Basically the escalation just put off the day of reckoning and eventually the factions will have it out.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Still, hats off to Maliki for attempting to disarm the militias. I predict they won't be very successful and the militias will start fighting again before they agree to give up arms but at least he's trying.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

We shall see how this turns out. Basra is Badr territory, Sadr might not be as sad to see his rivals go as he seems.

This does not invalidate the wor of the last 10-12 months btw, creating security forces that can do just this was one of the primary aims.
        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

This seems premeditated on the Iraqi gov't's part. If so, this would be one of the first times I have seen that the gov't has been proactive.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
            ... creating security forces that can do just this was one of the primary aims.
            Bush has repeatedly said, "When the Iraqis stand up, we can stand down." The Iraqi army is now on its feet and tottering forward. If it can produce something here that looks like a win, this might be the beginning of a happy ending.

Comment

Well, while I am prone to be optimistic here, I will wait and see. Armies can look good on paper and not so much in the field. Or there could be nothing wrong with the troops at all, but they still need to work out operational kinks as they go from reading about how to conduct operations to doing operations.

I will wait and see. I predict the results on this will be mixed but very encouraging.
              "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

If, by some miracle, this is clearly on the path to being wrapped up (Iraqi forces are able to clearly exert control over the whole or nearly the whole of their country, Sadr agrees to join the government legitimately, etc.) by the end of 2008, how is Bush going to be viewed in the future I wonder? He will have accomplished his goal (removing Hussein, stabilizing Iraq), or at least put it on a path towards clearly being accomplished (as opposed to now where it is hard to see it being accomplished). Sure, he didn't play nice, and was not entirely honest; but frankly that's the norm nowadays when it comes to presidents anyway, so I don't think that can really be held against him in the long run.

Would this rehabilitate his image to the point that he would be considered a 'successful' president rather than a 'failed' president by historians?
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                  If, by some miracle, this is clearly on the path to being wrapped up (Iraqi forces are able to clearly exert control over the whole or nearly the whole of their country, Sadr agrees to join the government legitimately, etc.) by the end of 2008, how is Bush going to be viewed in the future I wonder? He will have accomplished his goal (removing Hussein, stabilizing Iraq), or at least put it on a path towards clearly being accomplished (as opposed to now where it is hard to see it being accomplished). Sure, he didn't play nice, and was not entirely honest; but frankly that's the norm nowadays when it comes to presidents anyway, so I don't think that can really be held against him in the long run.

Would this rehabilitate his image to the point that he would be considered a 'successful' president rather than a 'failed' president by historians?
                  I doubt it, even assuming all of this works out. There's still the matter of spending an obscene amount of money and not getting anything for the U.S. to show for it. Unless you honestly think Iraq is going to be a Beacon of Democracy after all this mess, all he's done is contained a mess he made himself while doing little to improve U.S. security. It's like he started the Spanish-American war and didn't get us the Philippines. No, actually, we had some casus belli for the S-A War, didn't we? It was just greatly distorted.
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Didn't the Brits turn Basra over to the Iraqi gov last fall?
                    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Removing Saddam and installing a friendly government, plus a small permanent presence (the sort of small permanent presence that allows us a convenient base-of-operations if Iran misbehaves, for example), and more security on the oil supply (less pressure from an unfriendly dictator on the oil supply, e.g. Hussein deciding not to sell any oil to the US for a while to hurt us, e.g. the 1970s oil crisis)... sounds to me like a decent thing to end up with. Whether it's worth the billions/trillions/etc. we poured into it... who knows, but it certainly gave some value (if it turns out well).

Comment

It's like he started the Spanish-American war and didn't get us the Philippines.
                        We did get the Pillipines, and a buch of other places. As well as pretty much a monopoly on influence in the Western Hemisphere.

Comment

I think that was Elok's point

Comment

According to wiki the gov took over on Dec 16th, 2007:

British troops transfer control of Basra province to the Iraqi authorities, four-and-a-half years after the invasion.[7] A BBC survey of local residents finds that 86% think the presence of British troops since 2003 has had an overall negative effect on the province.[8]

So the Iraqi gov hopes to reclaim what they were unable to hold for even a few short months and we at Poly are celebrating this? WTF!?
                            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I think that was Elok's point
                              Oh, I see what he did there now...

Comment

Working...
                              X