Should People be paid for being "On Call?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lancer
    Pay on call people! A waitress for example who is on call in case the place gets busy is a direct benefit in that her workplace can cut one worker because she is staying close to a phone. So the workplace can share the savings a bit for her duty.
    Lancer makes a good point. By placing employees "on call," the employer is able to function with fewer employees. A portion of these savings should be passed onto the employee who is giving up certain freedoms of action (i.e boozing, travelling) to be on call.

Comment

Labor laws don't work that way, however - there is no consideration of the 'savings' (or the 'earnings') - employers must pay employees regardless of earnings, regardless of the actual contribution the employee is making. That would simply end up with employees not being put on call most of the time.

IMO, if it's 'mandatory on call' it should be paid; if it's 'voluntary on call' (ie, waitress is available to be called in to work, but is not required to be on call, she does it because she wants the extra money - even if she is required to decide ahead of time) it should not be paid.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

[q=Snoopy]IMO, if it's 'mandatory on call' it should be paid; if it's 'voluntary on call' (ie, waitress is available to be called in to work, but is not required to be on call, she does it because she wants the extra money - even if she is required to decide ahead of time) it should not be paid.[/q]

no wonder you used to work in management...
        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
          Labor laws don't work that way, however - there is no consideration of the 'savings' (or the 'earnings') - employers must pay employees regardless of earnings, regardless of the actual contribution the employee is making. That would simply end up with employees not being put on call most of the time.

IMO, if it's 'mandatory on call' it should be paid; if it's 'voluntary on call' (ie, waitress is available to be called in to work, but is not required to be on call, she does it because she wants the extra money - even if she is required to decide ahead of time) it should not be paid.
          I was speaking morally, not legally.

The OP sets out the situation here in California where, even if its mandatory "on call," it doesn't have to be compensated.

I started this post because I wanted to see how people around the world felt about this issue and how they handle things where they are. The concensus (insofar as there is one) seems to be that, when the employee is required to be on call, he should be paid albeit at a lesser rate than normal.

Comment

Its a case by case issue depending upon the conditions of being on call. The more requirements and restriction place on the on call employees, the more likely t it will be held to be working hours subject to minimum wage, overtime, etc.
            Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
            Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
            "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
            From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

If somebody wants me to be 'on call', I am definitely providing them a service. So they'll have to pay me for that.

The situation as described in the OP certainly restricts the people in their abilty to perform other labour, for which they certainly should be compensated.
              "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
              "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Mandatory on call only of course. If a person can refuse when called or not bother to pick up the phone, no pay should be given. If there is the expectation that the person will be reachable and will work, partricularly if trouble will result if they do not, pay should be given.

Zkrib, pics should come tomorrow. Teresa is busy with church stuff today.
                Long time member @ Apolyton
                Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                  Zkrib, pics should come tomorrow. Teresa is busy with church stuff today.

Comment

Of course you should be compensated for being on-call. You basically lose the freedom to do what you want during your off-hours. Your life doesn't stop when you are on-call, but you do have to modify it.

The set-up at my work is similar to Richelieu's: a daily rate for having the pager ($24/day, $36/day on weekends and holidays), plus overtime for any work required because of being paged. I get the pager one out of every 4 weeks. Without the monetary bonus, there would be no incentive to volunteer to take the pager off of someone for a few days (other than quid pro quo).
                    "Every time I have to make a tough decision, I ask myself, 'What would Tom Cruise do?' Then I jump up and down on the couch." - Neil Strauss

Comment

when my dad is on call for the weekend, we can't go places. it's kinda sucky sometimes. workers should get something.

Comment

Working...
                      X