Being frugal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being frugal

Because of the economy Dolores and I are going to be very frugal when we get home. I'm interested to hear if you will be doing the same and any ideas you have that might help us to cut.

Here's some of the things we have in mind..

Drive less, combine a return from work with a grocery pick up, etc. We sometimes drive 60 miles to cheaper shopping in Eugene. We'll do this less often but stock up more.

Eat less. Food is getting spendy and even after losing 20 lbs my belly could still use some trimming. Healthy living. We usually eat at home but now we will do so exclusively. Time for some more belt tightening.

Get cheaper internet. We paid $30/month for the fast deal last time, now we're going to be more patient.

Ideas?
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Last year I spent ~$2k total. Not always possible of course... Here's how I live:

Live with relatives who have spare room that isn't being rented out. In my case I was helping to build the spare room for an Aunt who was building an addition to her house. Work on the house in exchange for room and board. (I also pitched in ~$150/mo to help cover groceries/utilities.) If I had to pay rent for a similar situation, it'd be ~$600-$800/mo in this area. I'd almost surely live somewhere less expensive in that case.

Plant a garden / low maintenance fruit trees if you have the room. Even an herb garden in a window sill can save you quite a bit of money. (My Aunt covers the garden, tomato, squash, some other stuff... we have an avocado tree and a lemon tree which require almost no maintenance. I'm kinda hopeless when it comes to food. Left to my own devices I'd end up with a 30 gallon drum of peanutbutter from costco, some cheap saltine knockoffs, and maybe ramen for when I'm feeling adventurous.)

Don't eat out much at all. I only eat out when I'm forced to.

Cheap entertainment. Beach is free, er... $5/mo for sunblock. (Skin cancer is much more expensive.) Internet access appears expensive... but it's the cost of one night out giving a month of value. (Assuming you already have a computer.) Computers are my one vice, I spend ~$400/year on my own personal computer and/or games, but generally my family all ends up with suitable computers built from parts I've swapped out, as well as free games I'm done with (my brothers/cousins and I swap games back and forth a lot so that extends their value quite a bit).

Wear clothes that will last. A good pair of jeans will last 5+ years. The hoodie I'm wearing right now I bought 8 years ago, it's still in good shape. Most of my wardrobe I've had for 5-10 years now. My last pair of sneakers is still going, bought 11 years ago. I hope to never have to replace them with anything other than sandals. The only stuff I've added to my wardrobe are gifts my family gives me.

Swear off holidays. They're all consumer traps. Show the people you care that you do by how you live every day, not just by spending some money on pre-appointed days for stuff they probably don't need anyways. If you do gift, something you made means more.

Haven't owned a car in 6 years. Not everyone can get away with this, but I live 15 minutes walk from the beach (and it's only that long cause I walk slow), 15 minutes from the grocery store, and don't have anywhere else I need to go.

I don't know. It's a pretty good life. I do what I want, when I want, even if that's nothing at all. I don't like stuff so I don't miss anything other people have that I don't. A girlfriend/wife would change a lot of that, which is part of why I don't mind so much not having a SO.

Comment

I was thinking about a garden, spices are a good idea. My clothes are all as you describe, durable, comfortable.

Good idea on the holidays. Dolores and I will usually get her something for Christmas, but that's about it. I don't usually need anything.

Good job on the car! Wish I could do that...actually I wish I had an electric car for just around town. However our little Rav4 does pretty good and we paid it off last year so that's done.

Regarding the SO, my wife is more frugal than I except in the clothes/cosmetics dept. Even in that she shops the sales. She was poor for enough of her life that she knows to avoid it ever happening again.

Good advise. I'll look into seeds when we get back.

Comment

My money has been going up and up. I'm going to hire a cleaner next and be more extravagant
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

See, we were thinking of letting one of ours go...

Comment

Is she cheap and prepared to relocate to South East London?
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

She might not be as cheap as you but I'm sure she's ready to relocate.

Comment

No need to be frugal. Just sell some of those Filipino kids to a Nike sweat shop.

Comment

Wiglaf is better.

Comment

Wiglaf has no equal. He is Wiglaf.

Comment

As you say he doesn't and is.

Provost, can you clear some time from your schedule next January? Come visit with us here. Get in the picture.

Check out the buffalo shaped thunderhead in the background.

Comment

I thought it was a mushroom cloud

Philippines next January? Well you never know...certainly would be a nice warm retreat from this area of the world
                        Speaking of Erith:

Comment

That's not good enough, you have to write it on your calendar.

You too Aeson.

Comment

It seems like Americans spend a lot on clothing that they really don't need. I mean people pay 3-4 times more for items with a certain label on it which is probably made in China just like the cheap no label store brands.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I found canvas isn't itchy and lasts forever.

Canvas shirt.

Comment

Working...
                              X