Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time travel: which time and place is it for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by molly bloom
    Failing that, one of the early Christian kingdoms in Nubia.
    Is that where all the nubs in online games are from?

Anyway, it don't really matter, because the odds that you will end up as a slave or a lowly serf are equally high (99%+) pretty much everywhere at this time. Perhaps I would prefer some muslim country around 1200-1400, mind you they were ahead the rest of the world culturally and scientifically by centuries (and didn't develop since then...).

Comment

I wouldn't go - way too unsanitary.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
        I wouldn't go - way too unsanitary.
        You could go there and be the person that invented soap

After all this you just have to produce potassium and let it react with fat. RThis way you could improve the sanitary conditions of this time and get rich as well
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

The past doesn't interest me. Even minor diseases, such as appendix infection, can kill you.

And if you manage to piss off the locals, it's very likely they will do one of the following to you:
          1. Breaking on the Wheel;
          2. Impalement;
          3. Death by Thousand Cuts;
          4. Burning at the Stake;
          5. Hung, Drawn, and Quartered;
          6. Other scary unplesantries.

Comment

Actually...right here in Tennessee...say 1450...nice little Cherokee Village.
            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Re: Time travel: which time and place is it for you?

Originally posted by BeBro
              Say you'd have to choose a point in time pre-1600 AD to live in. You can choose freely where on Earth, but have no control at all in which position you would end up (monk, knight, slave, peasant, king, emperor, whatever).

So, which time and place would be yours and why?
              Well since I don't speak any language other than English I guess that narrows my options. Nor would I be able to pick up a local language quick enough to save me from the rack, I'm gonna have to go with London for my location.

As for the time, I guess late 1500's. See if I can make a bit of money, maybe build a theater and invest in a young Shakespeare, make some more money. Then ship out in 1606 (and beat those posers at Jamestown) for the New World and name a colony after myself, and have lots and lots of kids to populate America. Maybe try to get Virginia started off on a non-slavery trajectory.

Then buy/steal/trade beads for some land in DC cause in 400 years it'll be really, really expensive.

Then maybe invent some really basic machines in Virginia, and hasten the industrial revolution, maybe make it start in the US instead of England, so we can pwn the world even more.
              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

If I had a bit more flexibility though I'd go back to the 1970's and get involved in the youth rights movement of the time and try to stop it from crashing and burning by the end of the decade. Invest some money in Apple & Microsoft, make a bundle of cash, and start a ridiculously wealthy foundation to fund youth rights work.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Sorry Ozzy but one inventor would not hasten the Industrial revolution especially in a underpopulated region such as the Eastern coast of North America in the early 17th century.
                  Last edited by Heraclitus; May 28, 2008, 09:41.
                  Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                  The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                  The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Not hasten it by much mind you... heh

Comment

4000 B.C., Garden of Eden
                      Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot
                        Garden of Eden
                        No such thing
                        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

HEATHEN
                          Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

City of troy with a duffel bag full of ammo, a couple machine guns, maybe a 60mm morter and some claymors. Defend troy all alone I would.
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

Israel/Palestine area in the Roman times. Preferably as a Roman citizen.
                              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I'd love to be in Teotihuacán at the end of its golden age, witnessing the big fire that happened and started its decline. Wondering what this was about.

Or a Maya city in the classic age, ot Tiwanaku.

In all cases I'd like to be a trader - uperr class was much to belligerant for my taste, lower people had to work too hard, and not being from the city itself would, in the case of Teotihuacán, raise the possibilities to end on top of a pyramid - no thanks.
                                "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                                "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Working...
                                X