Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time travel: which time and place is it for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time travel: which time and place is it for you?

Say you'd have to choose a point in time pre-1600 AD to live in. You can choose freely where on Earth, but have no control at all in which position you would end up (monk, knight, slave, peasant, king, emperor, whatever).

So, which time and place would be yours and why?
    Blah

rather interesting question.....

have you been reading Rawls?
    My Words Are Backed With Bad Attitude And VETERAN KNIGHTS!

Comment

The "Theory of Justice" Rawls? Not yet (still on my to read list), what does he say about this topic?
      Blah

Comment

Ah, a bit of a gamble. You could end up a slave... And I don't think being a king is that great, either. Those weren't the healthiest of times. Not to mention, you're royally screwed, if you have diabetes or such... Eels don't help as much. Of course, with the knowledge you posses, you can help with the issue... Like "wash your hands more often"... If you're king, you can order stuff like that! Germs and germans, stuff like that...

Personally, I've often fancied the height of the Roman Empire, or thereabouts, perhaps Octavians reign. I'd love to *not* be a slave, or some common plebeian... And baths are nice.
        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

I´d choose the Basileia ton romaion (Kingdom of romans) which nowadays is called the Byzantine empire as the place to live.

For the time period I´d choose either the time between 450 and 550 (i.e. a while before the time of wars when Belisarius under Justinian for a short while managed to conquer all former possessions of the roman empire)
          or I´d choose the time between 900 and 1000 AD where the economy of the byzantine empire flourished (despite the empire being much smaller than during 600 AD, encompassing only asia minor as well as various small territories in europe)
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
            The "Theory of Justice" Rawls? Not yet (still on my to read list), what does he say about this topic?

the same. he asks just about the same question, and just about the same way.

Comment

Would I get to do a bit of studying first? Would I be allowed to bring anything with me?
              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

propably No and No.

Comment

Hadn't thought about this, but for the sake of simplicity I'd indeed rather go with no/no.
                  Blah

Comment

Polynesia, perhaps.
                    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                      Polynesia, perhaps.

good choice.

Comment

The kingdom of Mali- just to see what it was really like.

Failing that, one of the early Christian kingdoms in Nubia.

Failing that, the port of Kilwa, before the Portuguese wrecked it.
                        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Netherlands, late 16th century. Let's beat some Spanish Catholic scum, and get rid of Monarchy for good
                          (oh wait ... )
                          "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                          "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                            Polynesia, perhaps.
                            Yes, living in some kind of aboriginal tribe could be kinda cool.
                            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Nahhh.
                              Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                              The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                              The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Working...
                              X