Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheStinger
    Brilliant I now own a bank
    Congratulations! Your first job is to fire half the employees.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

i remember the chancellor fairly recently describing northern rock, on national television no less, as a company with a 'fundamentally unsound business plan'. now it appears that the government is propping up this company with a 'fundamentally unsound business plan', using £50bn of our money.

this is bigger than british steel, bigger than british leyland, bigger than all the other disastrous nationalisations in the 1970s. i suppose they've made the best of a very bad job, but why has the government allowed itself to be put in this position in the first place.
      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney
        i remember the chancellor fairly recently describing northern rock, on national television no less, as a company with a 'fundamentally unsound business plan'. now it appears that the government is propping up this company with a 'fundamentally unsound business plan', using £50bn of our money.
        Not quite true. He said it had a fundamentally unsound business plan, which was lending money on long-term mortgages while borrowing in the short-term wholesale market. The whole reason it was unsound was because the market could dry up, which it has. When finding capital isn't a problem, it's an extremely profitable business plan, as the huge growth beforehand shows. By stepping in, the government's removed the unsoundness, and the main problem now is how should it be allowed to compete with private enterprises, while getting rid of it's liability.

Originally posted by C0ckney
        this is bigger than british steel, bigger than british leyland, bigger than all the other disastrous nationalisations in the 1970s. i suppose they've made the best of a very bad job, but why has the government allowed itself to be put in this position in the first place.
        Lesser of two evils. If they didn't underwrite deposits, the bank would have gone bust and the 1 million+ people with savings in it wouldn't have been able to get them. The market was expected to get better, meaning Northern Rock could borrow again. It hasn't. Given that they had underwritten deposits, they had to underwrite the banks finances. Which gives you three options:
        Allow it to continue (which they did while trying to find a buyer);
        Nationalise it;
        Call in the loan and put it into administration.

None of them are good options. From a finance point of view, any other lender would have done the last of these options, as it would mean they get their money back. However it would cause a quick-fire sale of their assets, meaning the government (with it's guarantee) would likely have to top up the proceeds of these sales with public money, to pay the depositors. Moreover, it would mean the loss of 6000 jobs.

The current solution keeps the jobs, keeps the company making money and keeps depositors protected. It's just a bit of a minefield. A private sector solution would be better, but not on any terms. When the markets start to move better, it can sell off bits of it's (valuable) mortgage book, and begin to pay back the loan to the taxpayer. Even if the government were to wind it down now, over the next 25 odd years they'd be paid off and then some as people pay off their mortgages.

I said in October to some friends that I'd put money on the government making money out of this, in the long run. Unless they're forced to compensate shareholders, which IMHO would be entirely ludicrous - they could have called in the loans and NR would have gone bust immediately. It would be quite feasible for them to call in the loans, put the company into administration and then offer to buy the company in exchange for paying off the loans (mainly to itself), which the administrator would agree to immediately.
        Smile
        For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
        But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Originally posted by Drogue
          I said in October to some friends that I'd put money on the government making money out of this, in the long run. Unless they're forced to compensate shareholders, which IMHO would be entirely ludicrous - they could have called in the loans and NR would have gone bust immediately. It would be quite feasible for them to call in the loans, put the company into administration and then offer to buy the company in exchange for paying off the loans (mainly to itself), which the administrator would agree to immediately.
          FWIW: From the article in the OP:

"Under nationalisation rules, shareholders will be offered compensation for their holding, at a level set by a Government-appointed panel."

Comment

And that compensation might be 1p per 100 shares...
            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Thus... FWIW

Comment

oh sorry
                You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by TheStinger
                  Brilliant I now own a bank

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson
                    FWIW: From the article in the OP:

"Under nationalisation rules, shareholders will be offered compensation for their holding, at a level set by a Government-appointed panel."
                    Yep Darling's already suggested a while ago it would be pretty minimal, and it's supposed to be the value of the company without the government guarantees. Which is pretty close to zero.
                    Smile
                    For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                    But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Working...
                    X