Northern Rock to be nationalised

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern Rock to be nationalised

Northern Rock is to be nationalised, the BBC's business editor Robert Peston has learned.

A consortium led by the Virgin group was leading bids to run the beleaguered bank, while a management buyout had also been considered.

But ministers have decided that nationalisation - the first such move since the 1970s - was the only option.

"They felt that the offers on the table did not offer enough to the taxpayer," Mr Peston said.

"It's a momentous moment. Nationalisation has become a dirty word associated with industrial failures of the past," he went on.

"Financial services, by contrast, have been considered the great British success story - so for such a seemingly growing bank to end up being nationalised is a big moment for the City and a big moment for the government."

Northern Rock got itself into financial difficulties last year because its business model left it ill-prepared for the global credit crunch.

It was forced to ask the Bank of England for emergency funding, triggering the first run on a British bank in more than a century.

Nationalisation will be pushed though parliament with emergency legislation on Monday.

Shares in Northern Rock will be suspended on Monday morning.

Under nationalisation rules, shareholders will be offered compensation for their holding, at a level set by a Government-appointed panel.

Investors could begin legal action if they are unhappy with the amount offered.

Job threat

UK taxpayers are now subsidising the bank in loans and guarantees to other lenders to the tune of about £55bn.

The Treasury now feels that nationalisation offers the most certainty of securing these guarantees, Mr Peston said.

It is thought that the business model it proposes will be similar to those put forward by the Virgin Group and the in-house management consortium.

These were likely to see a downsizing of the bank, with job cuts likely, observers say.

The Treasury had already recruited the former boss of the Lloyd's of London insurance market, Ron Sandler, to lead Northern Rock, in case the bank were nationalised.

Mr Sandler is widely regarded as having restored confidence in Lloyd's after its years in financial disarray.

He is well known to Prime Minister Gordon Brown, and worked for the Treasury in developing the so-called stakeholder pension and investment products that were intended to help those on lower incomes save for retirement.

Chairman of the Commons Treasury Select Committee John McFall said that he welcomed the Government's decision to nationalise.

"They have explored every avenue. At the end of the day the biggest issue is the safeguarding of taxpayers' money. If nationalisation saves that money, that has to be the correct step in the long term."

Liberal Democrat treasury spokesman Vince Cable said that the right deicison had been taken, though "belatedly", and that the government should have walked away from the prospect of a private takeover some time ago.

"The important thing now is to do the right thing and the government has got to immediately establish what the problems are with this bank."
    Link.

This makes Labour look weak and indecisive after the embarassing spectacle of months of looking for a private buyer. Thoughts?

So, it's not an actual rock? England isn't all that big. I was thinking maybe they were expanding the monarchy again.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Er...Darling had better pull this off.
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

South Korea successfully nationalized several companies in the wake of the 1997 Asian financial crisis. They merged several companies in the same field, reorganized them, then either got rid of them via IPOs or sold them off. It saved a lot of jobs and prevented the failure of several key companies. Daiwoo Automotive was one of them.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I'm Northern and I rock
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

It makes sense to me instead of selling it off cheap.
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

How many mortgage loans is NR writing during this time period?
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

there's still work coming in for me from northern rock, i think it's business as usual to be honest...
                  "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

That's the story behind the story. The UK gov't is supporting the housing market by keeping the money flowing...
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Brilliant I now own a bank
                      Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                      Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Re: Northern Rock to be nationalised

Originally posted by Sandman
                        This makes Labour look weak and indecisive after the embarassing spectacle of months of looking for a private buyer. Thoughts?
                        Finally, Darling grows some balls. Yes, it was worth looking for a private buyer, but they should have been upfront that any borrowing after February would have to be at the market rate. Northern Rock still has a book value of over 4 times it's share value. It just has no liquidity. The government has the key card - if it calls in (or rather, refuses to extend) the loans, NR goes into administration - and so really it's all about what's best for the taxpayer. And with that kind of value locked up, somebody needs to come along with something that takes the risk away from the government for it to be worthwhile at all. Virgin were way below that, and so Branson's whining that a private sector solution would be better is entirely his own doing - he should have offered more.

From a finance point of view, I liked Anatole Kaletsky's idea to simply stop NR trading and just accept the book value. However that wipes out 6000 jobs. Keeping the jobs means working out a level playing field for the government to manage to compete with private companies.

Given the alternatives, we've got the best solution, I think. And while there's been a lot of indecisiveness, I can understand why the government was desperate to find a buyer to avoid this, but a buyer at a reasonable price.
                        Smile
                        For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                        But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                          That's the story behind the story. The UK gov't is supporting the housing market by keeping the money flowing...
                          Not really, the government aren't about to be writing huge amounts of new mortgage business. The new Executive Chairman is talking about downsizing the bank and selling off assets to reduce the liability. It's just trying to keep it ticking over, to protect the 6000 jobs in a generally deprived region and also reduce the taxpayer liability as quickly as possible. It won't have any effect on house prices - Northern Rock just isn't that big to have much of an impact. Loans it would have written would just go to one of the other banks offering almost identical terms.
                          Smile
                          For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                          But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

So the government bought a bank during a time that the bank would be for sale cheap. sounds like a shrewed investment
                            Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Down with Chavez!
                              Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Working...
                              X