No announcement yet.

Sometimes I REALLY don't get the NRA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DanS -- the wiki page for firearm microstamping discusses the technology pretty extensively. Sounds like it is (arguably) pretty effective and relatively cheap

But here's something I hadn't thought of...

It would also be possible for someone planning a criminal act to obtain fired casings with markings from a shooting range, for planting at the scene of a planned crime, erroneously linking unrelated gun owners to the crime scene to introduce doubt in any subsequent jury trial. Likewise, range brass, acquired at a range and reloaded, would still be marked with confusing markings on the head of the cartridge case, even after reloading. As not all bullets recovered from crime scenes are intact, which can prevent matching striations, these twists would introduce considerable confusion in processing and prosecuting criminal
    edit: xpost
    The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

Isn't this the usual "if you outlaw something, only outlaws will have it"? Law abiding citizens will not tamper with these microstamps, thus losing some of their freedom. Criminals, on the other hand, will do so, making the law useless.
      "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

The NRA has always been against any sort of responsible regulation of gun ownership. They even sued claiming people should have a right to own machine guns and military hardware. Fortunately, they lost.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Asking the NRA about anything to do with guns, like the effectiveness of microstamping, is like letting the tobacco companies decide if their product is safe and healthy.

Comment

That's an inappropriate simile. The NRA is a user's organization, not an industry organization.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
              The NRA is a user's organization, not an industry organization.
              that's just naive

Comment

Beyond naive.

Comment

OK, wise guys. How much money does the NRA obtain from its members and how much from the industry?
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I'd also be curious about the industry ties, or lack thereof, of the board of the NRA ... that's just as relevant if not more so.
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Registering firearms is fought by many because it puts everyone's name on a list.
                      When the USA is over-run by Haiti, then the occupiers have a list.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                        Registering firearms is fought by many because it puts everyone's name on a list.
                        ...Haiti? What's Haiti going to do, throw their AIDS-babies at us? Pick a more threatening country, which is to say pretty much any other country except the Vatican.
                        1011 1100
                        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

The IRS already has that list.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                            I'd also be curious about the industry ties, or lack thereof, of the board of the NRA ... that's just as relevant if not more so.
                            I'll freely admit -- it's just speculation on my part. I just don't see how some of their policies make any sense except from the persective of gun sellers and manufacturers. Since the NRA is the most powerful lobby group in the nation, gun manufacturers wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't try to cozy up to the NRA leadership.

A quick google/wiki search on the NRA leadership didn't turn up anything though.

Comment

The IRS has the list of people who may have an interest to put up a fight. The list that NRA members think about is one that details those with the means to fight.

Ironically, in this regard, the NRA's membership list would probably do the Haitians just fine in a pinch.

Comment

Except this method doesn't connect the gun to the owner. Rather, it connects the bullets to the gun.

While the NRA raises an interesting argument: This microstamping can be frustrated and thus this money can be better spent in other aspects of law enforcement, I am more swayed by the fact that law enforcement wants this. I betcha law enforcement can better assess what they need than can the NRA.

Comment

Working...
                                X