Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Brits really say "Yeah" all the time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nob jockey is another good un

I'm really too old for this though
    Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
    Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Yeah, bell is just a lazy form of bell-end.
      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
      We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia
        This is a picture of me reading Roger's Profanisaurus, published by Viz magazine.
        Nice pic. I remember that book - it was hilarious!

Comment

A bell here would refer to a comely woman of high status, used mainly (and a bit archaic) in the south. A "Southern bell".
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Hmm, so they dropped the "e" at the end then? As in "Belle dame"?
            "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

It blatantly has an 'e' at the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Cartimandua
                My husband's younger cousins live in Brighton, England and they say 'yeah' in almost every sentence. As far as I can tell it really is the younger generation using it.
                I've heard more than one older Brit use 'yeah' consistently in a very similar fashion to the Canadian 'eh', eh.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                  Do Canadians really speak like they do in South Park?
                  Only when we get excited and our heads start to flop aboot.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia
                    All my slang is from the 1990s and early 2000 to 2001, so it's a bit out of date. The words I used to use a lot were:
                    • Take a slash - urinate
                    • Dodgy - unreliable
                    • Mardy - sulky
                    • Stroppy - sulky
                    • Huffy - sulky
                    • Shirty - sulky
                    • Skiving - malingering
                    • Bag it - disregard it
                    • Pack it in - desist
                    • Roger - to shag hard
                    • Tuppence - that which gets Rogered
                    • Slapper - owner of the tuppence which gets Rogered
                    Well, I can tell you must have been a rah Castle girl, just from the last three on that list. We up on t'hill use the words shagged or ****ed, and generally call people by their names...
                    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

We also use "eh" often when asking questions or emphasizing things. So it never seems that strange to me when Americans make fun of Canadians because of that "eh"

It's a useful word if you don't know what to say next and need to think a short while!
                      "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                      "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
                        Well, I can tell you must have been a rah Castle girl, just from the last three on that list. We up on t'hill use the words shagged or ****ed, and generally call people by their names...
                        Those last three are all used in the Midlands, so they may not be Durham ones. Rarely used nowadays, and even then they were pretty posh versions.

In fact, most of those I recognise well, except skiving and 'bag it' I've seen more used as truenting and stealing/winning respectively.
                        Smile
                        For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                        But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

I haven't heard anyone use "blag it" recently.

Maybe it's cos people I work with these days are a bit more studious.
                          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I am a ****ing midlander. I'm from Stoke.
                            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Skive generally gets used in a sentence such as "Skive off work early"...

Comment

Cushtie.
                                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                                X