112 Vs 911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 112 Vs 911

In my opinion this is just an example where Europeans went out of their way to outsmart themselves and the world and in the process got us two standards where one would have sufficed.

I have thought about this and I have concluded that US standard of 911 should have been adopted by the EU. This is because:

1) US standard is older
    2) US standard is already familiar to most Europeans who got to know it through American media (who hasn't seen Shatner in 911?), while 112 is not only unfamiliar to US citizens, it is not familiar even to most Europeans who previously had separate national standards

I leave the potential consequences of the confusion (of, say, tourists) about emergency numbers to your imagination.

My point about precedence is proven by the following two excerpts:

In 1968, a solution was agreed upon. AT&T had chosen the number 911, which met the requirements that it be brief, easy to remember, dialed easily, and that it worked well with the phone systems in place at the time.

In 1991, the European Union established 112 as the universal emergency number for all its member states.

Please vote in this most important poll.

Excellent. The first victim of confusion just fell - I was so lost I forgot to include a poll. See?

Comment

Please vote in this most important poll.

I would if I could.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I don't have anything against 1-1-2. But isn't it easy to misdial it? A kid could pick up the phone and dial it mistakenly.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Our 000 was the greatest emergency number ever.
          Last edited by Julian Delphiki; February 11, 2008, 14:27.

Comment

We had (still have)

92 - police
            93 - firemen
            94 - ambulance
            95 - get the current time

I do support standardization and unification, but reinventing the wheel is

Comment

9-9-9 is the only way
              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                I don't have anything against 1-1-2. But isn't it easy to misdial it? A kid could pick up the phone and dial it mistakenly.
                This seems to have been an issue with the British 9-9-9 (it wasn't an issue with Finnish the 0-0-0 because Finnish kids are smarter) and it is the reason why the accepted code isn't 1-1-1 but 1-1-2. There is a rationale on the wiki page I linked to. They did think about which number to take, but it didn't occur to them that US already has a perfectly good number chosen which many Europeans already know.

Comment

999 *****es

also I think 911 and 112 work here as well

it sucks either way when when locked keypad on my mobile ends up typing out 999 when its in my pocket
                  Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

I always thought 999 was underrated.

999 artist bio
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I though 9-1-1 was invented by the Europeans. I vaguely remember a television series back in the 60's or 70's, set in England, which began every episode with someone dialing 9-1-1 (inevitably from a phone booth).
                      Last edited by Zkribbler; February 11, 2008, 15:03.

Comment

666 should get the fire department.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Aren't the police watching all Europeans live on CCTV anyway? Why is there a need for any emergency number?
                          "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

The advantage with 112 is that it's easier to use cuz you only need to able to count from one to two, while counting up to nine is much more difficult esp. in emergency (=stress) situations.

FACT
                            Blah

Comment

The emergency number should just be all prime numbers between 0 and 20.

135-7-1113-1719

Comment

Working...
                              X