Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aeson

Patriot Act.
    are you kidding? that orwellian name has done more to excite opposition to the thing than anything actually contained in it. euphemistic names just bring out the skeptical cynic in everybody.

Comment

Is that the u21 drinking age?

I'm not a big fan of the idea of federal bribery to follow federal standards, but at the same time there are some benefits to it. I suppose in things relating to interstate commerce I support it, and otherwise I don't. ID card is somewhat related, but it also has a tougher standard (it's actually in the constitution, essentially, while other things are not), so I'd rather see if we can't come up with a better solution.

Perhaps a multi-state convention with state governors coming up with a standard they all agree to follow? There is some precedent for that (1787 if nothing else ) and it would maintain the states' right to issue ID cards at their discretion, while also providing consistent, safe, easily identified ID cards for state-to-state commerce.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos

National ID cards with the full assortment of biometrics make sense. Hell we can still have states issue them using universal standards. Same card, different graphics like the quarters.
        Can you say "unfunded mandate"? So the federal government is going to set the standards for a NID, but I bet you the states will end up paying for it, probably without a lot of federal monetary assistance. And not all states have the same economic wherewithal to pay for this.
        Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
        Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
        One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

snoopy, come on. You don't want to know how people are going to spend the money when they ask you for it?
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Avalon

Can you say "unfunded mandate"? So the federal government is going to set the standards for a NID, but I bet you the states will end up paying for it, probably without a lot of federal monetary assistance. And not all states have the same economic wherewithal to pay for this.
            I'm kind of confused about why you guys seem to be talking about this is the future conditional tense. The feds have already set the standards on Real ID, and it is already an unfunded mandate about which governors are kicking.

Currently, state compliance is required by 2011, though that date has beenn rolled back once and, given that Kompetence Klowns at DHS are in charge of the program, it could easily be rolled back again. But it's a done deal.
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Kataphraktoi
              Why not just put barcodes on back of peoples heads and implant chips? Would save decades of BS.
              Because the barcodes would be more convenient on the forehead?

Comment

Depends if they have hair.
                You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Make it a felony to cover the bar code.
                  Because you know, it needs to be visible to the omnipresent surveillance cameras, how else are you going to track the population .

Comment

I like girls to have long hair though
                    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

And that's why the barcode needs to be on the forehead! Then only fringe regulations are required.

Comment

The Nazis might have gotten it right, you know, putting it on the forearm...

Comment

oops.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                            snoopy, come on. You don't want to know how people are going to spend the money when they ask you for it?
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Depends on the person receiving the money...

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

I'm kind of confused about why you guys seem to be talking about this is the future conditional tense. The feds have already set the standards on Real ID, and it is already an unfunded mandate about which governors are kicking.

Currently, state compliance is required by 2011, though that date has beenn rolled back once and, given that Kompetence Klowns at DHS are in charge of the program, it could easily be rolled back again. But it's a done deal.
                                Perhaps because it's not imminent? Is it really a done deal if they keep pushing back the deadline?

Edit: To clarify, Real ID is not a national ID like some have talked about - there will still be state IDs, they'll just have to meet some minimum federal standards.
                                Last edited by Lord Avalon; February 4, 2008, 22:10.
                                Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                                Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                                One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Working...
                                X