No announcement yet.

Ape trounces the best of the human world in memory competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do we know that Amyumu wasn't a savant chimp himself?
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
      Interesting, but It's not that surprising if you think about it. Every animal is better than humans in something.
      So true...

Unbelievable!

Comment

Man, the defensiveness in this thread is hilarious .
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

So Bush is in fact a genius?
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
            *sigh*

I was all over this story months ago.
            Humans have memories like sieves and would have forgotten stories like...er whatever this was about.
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Interesting. I remember there was some Russian bloke a good few years ago with fantastic eidetic memory. He used to memorise tables of numbers, and the psychologist even tested him on one of these tables over 20 years later and he recalled the lot.

However saying this, because of the way that this mans brain was organised, he was completely useless at other things. If another person changed his facial expression, he could no longer recognise him. His mind worked extremely linearly and he just didn't have the lateral thinking skills and adaptability other human brains have. I think he was a dustman by profession because grasping rough concepts was nigh on impossible.

So yes, these apes may have this immense talent for memorisation, but this may be a factor of their brains being differently organised to our own, and the advantages this organisation grants us way surpasses simple memorisation.
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871

So true...

Dogs
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I can't believe they made that many Air Bud movies.
                  Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

for Air Bud images.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
                      My grandmother was a big fan.

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                        Interesting. I remember there was some Russian bloke a good few years ago with fantastic eidetic memory. He used to memorise tables of numbers, and the psychologist even tested him on one of these tables over 20 years later and he recalled the lot.

However saying this, because of the way that this mans brain was organised, he was completely useless at other things. If another person changed his facial expression, he could no longer recognise him. His mind worked extremely linearly and he just didn't have the lateral thinking skills and adaptability other human brains have. I think he was a dustman by profession because grasping rough concepts was nigh on impossible.
                        The doctor was Dr. Aleksandr Luria and the patient was Solomon Shereshevksii, a Russian of Jewish descent with synaesthesia (a condition where purely abstract concepts created quite perceptible sense-based constructs for the observer). Shereshevskii was referred to only as "patient S." and he could literally line up his memories as a row of images so he would never forget anything.

Sometimes if somebody coughed while saying something, his memories would visually obscure that particular word, and he would have to actually manipulate the position of the visuals in his memory in order to "see" the word clearly.

"lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                          How do we know that Amyumu wasn't a savant chimp himself?
                          I was wondering along similar lines, as well. First, it would be interesting to know how this one compares to other chimps -- is it normal for them to have a memory like that?

Also, clearly, the chimp must have been trained to do this. It would be interesting if they took a human baby and trained it to do the same thing every day for a few years. Then compare it to a chimp.
                          XBox Live: VovanSim
                          xbox.com (login required)
                          Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                          Spore page

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                            Originally posted by OzzyKP
                            My grandmother was a big fan.

JM
                            Have you put her in a home yet? Clearly she's a danger to herself and others.
                            Unbelievable!

Comment

Monkeys > Apes

Comment

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
                                X