Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ape trounces the best of the human world in memory competition

This is quite cool .

When scientists found out that chimps had better memories than students, there were unkind comments about the calibre of the human competition they faced. >But now an ape has gone one better, trouncing British memory champion Ben Pridmore. Ayumu, a seven-year- old male brought up in captivity in Japan, did three times as well as Mr Pridmore at a computer game

When scientists found out that chimps had better memories than students, there were unkind comments about the calibre of the human competition they faced.

But now an ape has gone one better, trouncing British memory champion Ben Pridmore.

Ayumu, a seven-year-old male brought up in captivity in Japan, did three times as well as Mr Pridmore at a computer game which involved remembering the position of numbers on a screen.

And that's no mean feat - the 30-year-old accountant from Derby is capable of memorising the order of a shuffled pack of cards in under 30 seconds.

Photographic memory: Amyumu the chimpanzee trounced a British memory champion

Both chimp and man watched a computer screen on which five numbers flashed up at various positions before being obscured by white squares.

They then had to touch the squares in order of the numbers they concealed, from lowest to highest. When the numbers were shown for just a fifth of a second - the blink of an eye - Ayumu got it right almost 90 per cent of the time.

His human opponent scored a rather less impressive 33 per cent, Channel Five programme Extraordinary Animals will reveal.

Mr Pridmore, who spends his evenings memorising 400-digit numbers, ruefully acknowledged that he had met his match.

Ben Pridmore can memorise the order of a pack of cards in 30 seconds - but was beaten by a chimp

"I'd rather not be seen on TV doing worse than a chimpanzee in a memory-test," he said. "I'll never live it down!"

The TV tests follow scientific experiments which pitted Ayumu, along with several other young chimps, against a group of university students.

Ayumu was the clear champion, doing twice as well as the humans.

It is thought that young chimps are blessed with photographic memories, allowing them to remember patterns and sequences with amazing accuracy.

Professor Tetsuro Matsuzawa, the Kyoto University researcher behind both sets of experiments, said: "People still believe that humans are superior to chimpanzees in any domain of intelligence.

"That is the prejudice of the people.

"Chimpanzees can be clever in a specific task in comparison to humans."
    http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

*sigh*

I was all over this story months ago.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

The ape has the better memory but the man runs the planet. Since my memory is crap this makes me feel alot better, like I wanna show an ape the wrong end of a shotgun.
      Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Interesting, but It's not that surprising if you think about it. Every animal is better than humans in something.

Comment

Yes, since memory is my bugaboo, my great failing.

Comment

Memory is for apes, like specialization is for insects. You're better than that Lancer

Comment

and yet we are sentient and it is not...

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

yeah but i would love to see it beat me at Civ
                Order of the Fly
                Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

What if the world's smartest ape beat you at Civ?

Comment

then Blake is out of a job...
                    Order of the Fly
                    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

That's what happened to the human in the news story.

Comment

Originally posted by AAHZ
                        then Blake is out of a job...
                        Well, I really think he should be smart nuf to have someone else sucking on his toes.

Comment

I was watching a BBC documentary which showed a female chimpanzee who had been taught how to play a simple maze game using a joystick. Think of a rudimentary TV console game.

The chimp was able to beat all her human researchers at that game, suggesting that chimps have faster brains for pathfinding as well.
                          "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Blah. The village idiot will tell you the fastest way to get to the village every time.

Comment

Anyone asks me the fastest way to the village and they are off my Christmas list.

Comment

Working...
                              X