The Family Dinner Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Family Dinner Poll

So, the counselors at Little Miss Firefly's school are meeting with kids in groups and conducting surveys on stress. For whatever reason, one of the questions in the survey was, "How often do you eat dinner with your parents?" (I'm guessing they're trying to assess the extent to which parents have the opportunity to hear about what their kids are going through.) It turns out LMF was the only person in the room who eats dinner with her parents with any regularity, let alone the high regularity which she does (generally, 6 days a week). This astonished both her and her classmates, though for different reasons. Her classmates couldn't believe we actually made that kind of time for her every day (and that she enjoyed it as much as we did), while she couldn't believe that her classmates could just shrug and say, as one did, "I just don't know my parents very well."

The kids at her school are not typical, of course; in addition to (or because of) being expat kids, they generally have servants at home, including full-time cooks (we don't, btw). But I do know that every once in a while I read articles about how the family dinner is an endangered institution.

So I made a poll.
    Every night, barring something unusual
    61.76%
    Most nights (4-6)
    20.59%
    Some nights (2-3)
    5.88%
    A ritualized once-a-week
    2.94%
    Hardly ever
    8.82%
    Never, if I could avoid it
    0.00%
    Well, I once fought my dad over the last banana. Does that count?
    0.00%
    Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly; January 25, 2008, 07:03.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Almost always. As a teen, my parents weren't the kind to mess with. Its not like I had a choice. Glad I didn't though.

Teens are idiots. The get on my nerves. Hell, I got on my own nerves when I was a teen.

Spec.
    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

growing up, my stepfather worked second shift, but my mother and i always ate dinner together just about every night except some saturdays.
      I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
      [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

It would have been exceedingly rare for me not to have dinner with my parents every night when I was growing up.
        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Every night. My parents are both good cooks, too.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

When I was a kid we ate at the table with the family every night.

Now I eat by myself if I am not cooking for a special lady, whichever one it is that night
            "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

When che and I were younger we all ate together almost every night.

After our parents divorced, less and less, until almost never.

Right now gf, daughter, and I don't eat together very often. I think the disorganization/clutter of the kitchen is a strong factor.
              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

we did until my teenage years

when I have a family, it will definitely be an institution

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                  Every night. My parents are both good cooks, too.
                  QFT... It wasn't an institution, it's just what we did. The idea of not having dinner with my family just never came up, unless it was the rare time of going to a friend's house to have dinner with his or her family. That happened a bit more later in high school when I had a regular girlfriend, but it was still a family dinner.
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369

QFT... It wasn't an institution, it's just what we did. The idea of not having dinner with my family just never came up, unless it was the rare time of going to a friend's house to have dinner with his or her family. That happened a bit more later in high school when I had a regular girlfriend, but it was still a family dinner.
                    Yeah, same here. Why wouldn't people eat together if they're a family?
                    Graffiti in a public toilet
                    Do not require skill or wit
                    Among the **** we all are poets
                    Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

eating together is the number one thing I like to do with my freinds

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I ate with my family every night, too, which is totally not the way it was for any of my friends and their families.
                        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

With my family most of the time. Every once in a while I'd eat dinner while I was over at a friends house but I usually tried to avoid it if I could just because my mom is a really good cook.

Comment

every single night.

Comment

I rarely ate dinner with my parents, but tbh from the age of 13 I was a loner until I went ot sixth form.
                              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Working...
                              X