THE economic stimulus thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE economic stimulus thread

If I don't get a rebate check it's Bush's fault. And it's going to cause a recession too. That's BS. Why do Rebugs like recessions?
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Re: THE economic stimulus thread

Originally posted by Kidicious
    If I don't get a rebate check it's Bush's fault. And it's going to cause a recession too. That's BS. Why do Rebugs like recessions?
    You will get a rebate. It will be for $4.00.

Bill Gates will get a rebate. It will be for $400,000,000. He will use it to buy out some flegling software company that he believes threatens Microsoft's monopoly. Then he'll then close its doors and lay off its employees.

Economic stimulus, my sweet tookus.

Comment

Why be so negative?

Originally posted by Zkribbler

You will get a rebate. It will be for $4.00.

Bill Gates will get a rebate. It will be for $400,000,000. He will use it to buy out some flegling software company that he believes threatens Microsoft's monopoly. Then he'll then close its doors and lay off its employees.

Economic stimulus, my sweet tookus.
      whoever got 400 mil, well being American, will eat a lot more McDonalds, and 400mil can buy a lot of burgers, so McDonalds staff will need to increase, and those laid off software engineers can find new jobs easy, no problem, economy = stimulated, everyone still has jobs, and burgers are selling as never before; all = teh win
      Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

I have to disagree. Bill Gates has all the money he needs already for buying companies. So he won't do anything at all with his money but look at it and do nasty things to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
          I have to disagree. Bill Gates has all the money he needs already for buying companies. So he won't do anything at all with his money but look at it and do nasty things to it.
          why the hate on for Gates? AS capitalist oppressors go, isn't he known for giving a lot of it away ( I know I know -- it wasn't or should not have been Gates money to beging with since he opressed other people to get it etc etc)
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Because he runs a monopoly. He has needlessly and ruthlessly driven many good companies out of business.

Microsoft invented the concept of "vaporware," i.e. promising that certain software will soon be appearing as part of the next generation of the Window's operating system. After sales of any potentially competing software collapsed and the manufacturers driven out of business--surprise--Windows would not come out with that software.

Comment

To stimulate the economy one needs to be skilled in the forms of monetary foreplay.

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber

why the hate on for Gates? AS capitalist oppressors go, isn't he known for giving a lot of it away ( I know I know -- it wasn't or should not have been Gates money to beging with since he opressed other people to get it etc etc)
                I don't hate Bill. I state only objective facts.

Comment

Gates gives a ****load of money to charities. Of course, he has a ****load of money to give. I doubt that, if presented with $400 mil, he'd just "look at it."

Having said that, what rebate check are you talking about?

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                    Gates gives a ****load of money to charities. Of course, he has a ****load of money to give. I doubt that, if presented with $400 mil, he'd just "look at it."

Having said that, what rebate check are you talking about?

-Arrian
                    It's like if you found a nickle on the ground. Would you spend one more nickle than you otherwise would? I doubt it. You would just look at it.

And watch the news more often.

That is all.

Comment

It's true, I often ignore the news (so much of it is crap).

If I found some money, I'd probably save it. Not directly... I'd spent it instead of taking more money out of the bank. So more money stays in the bank = more savings. Said savings, of course, is used by the bank to lend to others. Or invested by me in stocks and whatnot.

All of which has economic impact.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Arrian,

So you pick pennies off the ground and start planning what to do with them? Seriously, do you not understand my point. A tax rebate for Bill Gates will have no impact what so ever.

Comment

No, I don't. What I'm saying is that if I picked upa quarter and stuck it in my wallet, the next time I needed a quarter (vending machine purchase, perhaps?) I'd have it, and wouldn't need to use, say, a dollar bill. That dollar bill, in turn, gets to stay in my wallet for some other use. In turn, don't need to take money out of the bank as soon as I otherwise might.

Obviously, taking this down to pennies makes it rather silly. I'd probably end up dropping the pennies in the change thingy at a convenience store or including them with some other change in a tip jar at the Chinese takeout.

Anyway, in terms of injecting money into the retail economy, I agree with you. Bill Gates isn't going to go out and buy a new car because he got a tax break. He might, on the other hand, give a chunk of it to starving kids in Africa, but that doesn't really do anything for the US economy

-Arrian

Comment

In the end, I agree with those who think the stimulus package should be aimed at the poorest people, because, even setting aside charitable impulses, the idea is to get people to spend and jumpstart the economy, and the poorest people probably have lots of stuff they would buy if they had some extra money, whereas less poor folks might not spend it (oh noes! saving!).

Unless I'm misreading the news articles, though, I don't think anyone is proposing a rebate for Bill Gates.

-Arrian

Comment

Teh stimulus package should give all $140 billion to me. I'll know what to do with it.
                              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
                              X