Rome: Total War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rome: Total War

Yeah, I know that there is the other games subforum. But this is not a thread about the game, this is a thread about my recommendation of the game.

I recommend it. Excellent game. Last Sunday I must have played 12 hours straight and I thought I was cured of gaming.

So, what is so good about it?

It has many aspects of Civ. A sense of Empire building. It's lacking a technology tree, so it's not quite Civ. However if you look at the strategic map it not only plays like Civ IV, they even look the same. 3D did it to the strategy genre.

The meat of the game is the excellent company-based fighting system. I have some bacground in those, I've played Warhammer: Dark Omen, Shogun: Total War and a couple of other less familiar titles. Rome has the best system so far. Making war has never been this enjoyable.

Anyway, I don't want to describe the game in detail, there are specialized sites for that. I just give it

I used to play Rome Total War a lot, but then my computer stopped working, and the computer I got to replace it wouldn't play R:TW. I just got a new computer over the weekend and have yet to install Rome.

BTW, I still think this goes in other games.
    USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
    The video may avatar is from

Comment

Ehrm, just out of curiosity - why do those horsie people want to commit suicide ?
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

BlackCat - those in front of them are their guys, with spears facing away towards the enemy. Cavalry are presumably being held in the reserve. I have no idea, it's just a screenshot I found on Google Image Search.

Comment

Ok, then it makes sense
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I prefer the original Medieval: Total War. The battlefield AI in Rome :Total War is pretty bad and enemy armies tends to route very quickly. I got so good at exploiting the poor battle AI, it was getting to the point I was defeating entire armies (even if they had spear units) just using my general unit with 20 horsemen.

I like the gritty feeling in MTW and battles last a lot longer since the killing rate isn't as fast as RTW. You can formulate meaningful strategies and the Battlefield AI is pretty good at holding it's own.

It think part of the reason is the differences in map layout. MTW uses a RISK board style were units simply move to different provinces while RTW uses a very detailed map that allows individual army movement and is unlike a board game. The problem is the AI can't handle it very well and tends to split up armies (especially early on) into small groups that are easily mopped up by the human player.

I will give credit to an improved siege engine though. In the original MTW, the enemy AI rarely opts to attack walled cities with siege weaponry and instead just waits to starve out an enemy.

Comment

Rome total Realism is very good
              "

Comment

Any hints how to defeat the dreaful Egyptian Chariots? They're making a mess out of my beautiful Roman infantry AND cavalry, I simply have no cure.

Comment

Use plenty of archers. You'll see them go down fairly quickly.

Comment

I'll try that. I've been using just the infantry + light cavalry combo so far. It works well, I'm winning and this is on Hard. Maybe I'll try Very Hard next.

Comment

Shogun: Total War
                      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Rome Total War was a great game. Now I want to play it again.
                        "'Let there be light!' said God, and there was light.
                        'Let there be blood!' says man, and there's a sea!"

Comment

It's the only other game I have bought in the last 14 years other than Civ and Sim based games... and Dominions

I like Rome Total War, but when I bought it my video card wasn't up to snuff. It's better now, so maybe I'll give it another shot.
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

I played the expansion barbarian invasion. If you want a masters course on getting it in the ass then that is the expansion for you. It will expand all right, expand your ass.

Comment

It has its downsides, but becomes much better with either Rome: Total Realism or Europa Barbarorum.
                              Lime roots and treachery!
                              "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Working...
                              X