"Meet the Spartans" and the putrid, decaying corpse of comedy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Meet the Spartans" and the putrid, decaying corpse of comedy

I'm sure we've all seen the previews. First came Scary Movie and the sequels. Then came Date Movie, Epic Movie, and a whole bunch of other "spoofs" consisting of limp pop-culture references chosen randomly and strung together in a loose, nonsensical chain. Now there's yet another one. Who keeps greenlighting these damned things???

I like to think that they're just ruses to lure all the morons into a crowded theater, that once the movie starts they release a colorless, odorless gas that sterilizes everyone in the room so they don't pass on their inferior, no-taste-having genes. However, all these movies appeal to the same knuckle-dragging audience, so if they're doing that they're just facing diminishing returns and re-sterilizing the same set of people over and over again.

So, unpalatable as it is to think of it, these movies must actually be making some amount of money from some source. Perhaps it's just that, as many more intelligent viewers save money by pirating movies, the "drooling jackass" demographic grows bigger and bigger as a percentage of the market. What demographic does this crap appeal to, anyway? Does anybody here know, or have a reasonable guess, how they turn a profit?
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

I think American culture has contributed all that it can to the world. The collective creativity of this nation has been exhausted and all that's left are these self-referential retreads.

I blame the death of our culture on the internet, which has greatly accelerated the speed at which cultural memes spread, far outpacing our ability to understand and interpret those ideas.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I think American culture has contributed all that it can to the world. The collective creativity of this nation has been exhausted and all that's left are these self-referential retreads.
      They usually make more money overseas
      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Yes, I'm surprised that these movies are in theatres. They seem more orientated toward straight-to-dvd.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
          They usually make more money overseas
          Overseas: 6.3 billion

Not overseas: .3 billion
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

- India - Arab world - Africa. Go and check it out... they're not waiting fot the next piece of crap. They have their own filth

It's only the corrupted western Europeans who have been defiled by US trash. Thanks btw, because of the Americans we can save us the trouble of making that worthless garbage ourselves. (although, mind you, we do posess that ability: cf. the many pathetic soaps roaming the European broadcasting networks)
            "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
            "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Re: "Meet the Spartans" and the putrid, decaying corpse of comedy

Originally posted by Elok
              I'm sure we've all seen the previews. First came Scary Movie and the sequels. Then came Date Movie, Epic Movie, and a whole bunch of other "spoofs" consisting of limp pop-culture references chosen randomly and strung together in a loose, nonsensical chain. Now there's yet another one. Who keeps greenlighting these damned things???

I like to think that they're just ruses to lure all the morons into a crowded theater, that once the movie starts they release a colorless, odorless gas that sterilizes everyone in the room so they don't pass on their inferior, no-taste-having genes. However, all these movies appeal to the same knuckle-dragging audience, so if they're doing that they're just facing diminishing returns and re-sterilizing the same set of people over and over again.

So, unpalatable as it is to think of it, these movies must actually be making some amount of money from some source. Perhaps it's just that, as many more intelligent viewers save money by pirating movies, the "drooling jackass" demographic grows bigger and bigger as a percentage of the market. What demographic does this crap appeal to, anyway? Does anybody here know, or have a reasonable guess, how they turn a profit?
              No, first came Airplane.

If done smartly, they are very entertaining in a mindless, useless way.

I'd complain more, but I have to go put peroxide on my knuckles.

ACK!
              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Re: Re: "Meet the Spartans" and the putrid, decaying corpse of comedy

Originally posted by Tuberski

No, first came Airplane.

QFT

Spaceballs, Hotshots, etc.
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Airplane
                  Spaceballs
                  Hot Shots
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I think I'm the only rabid Star Wars fan out there that doesn't care for Spaceballs.

Comment

Re: Re: "Meet the Spartans" and the putrid, decaying corpse of comedy

No, first came Airplane.

I'd complain more, but I have to go put peroxide on my knuckles.

ACK!
                      No no no no no no NO!

First there was Kentucky Fried Movie, the granddaddy (along with Groove Tube) of this whole genre. If you're going to be a geek about movie history, then really be a geek about movie history.
                      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

No, those are actual spoofs with actual jokes, as opposed to "spoofs" that stick in things at random without rhyme or reason. Like the Spartans "stomping the yard." Yes, I realize that Stomp the Yard and 300 were both recent movies, but that does not mean it makes any sense, whether comedic or logical, to fuse them together. Also, Donald Trump? Britney? Huh?

And they don't do anything with the references, they just slap them all together and expect a joke to tell itself. You get the feeling people are supposed to see The Donald snip Spidey's web, think "Wow, I recognize those two unrelated cultural memes! Now they're in nonsensical conjunction!" and immediately burst out laughing. You might as well compare Spaceballs to a little kid saying "Star Wars" and then making an armpit-fart noise and giggling.

While we're at it, 300 was a self-parody. It doesn't need or deserve to be parodied.
                        1011 1100
                        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Re: Re: Re: "Meet the Spartans" and the putrid, decaying corpse of comedy

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

No no no no no no NO!

First there was Kentucky Fried Movie, the granddaddy (along with Groove Tube) of this whole genre. If you're going to be a geek about movie history, then really be a geek about movie history.
                          SAMUEL L. BRONKOWITZ presents........

But they aren't exactly movie parodies.....

ACK!

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: "Meet the Spartans" and the putrid, decaying corpse of comedy

SAMUEL L. BRONKOWITZ presents........

But they aren't exactly movie parodies.....

ACK!
                            Then what, pray tell, was Catholic High School Girls In Trouble? I mean, aside from something that had a formative effect on my adolescence...
                            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "Meet the Spartans" and the putrid, decaying corpse of comedy

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

Then what, pray tell, was Catholic High School Girls In Trouble? I mean, aside from something that had a fomative effect on my adolescence...
                              They seem more of adult SNL skits.

Sex Olympics.

ACK!

Comment

Working...
                              X