Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Large housing slump! Let the good times roll!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plato, tell me about Alt-A and Option ARM resets due to reset in 2009-2011
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Is there any risk of inflation with the slashes of Interest Rates?

And, why would you want to lower the interest rates if the crisis is maybe because we have too low saving rates and too much consummation?
      bleh

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard
        Debt is a fungible, it affects the entire economy. Money is money, whether it is used to maintain health care or increase war spending. Of course, increased spending on the war undoubtedly affect certain sectors of the economy more than others. But that money is still owed by everyone (theoretically anyway).
        This isn't quite right. Debt which is used to build productivity is different from debt that isn't. Debt to build a company id different from debt to go on vacation. Eventually, the company should start making you some money back. All the vacation leaves with with are memories and diseases.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Sure, it is certainly worthwhile to go into debt when there is a clear economic gain. And, yeah, transferring consumption from future taxpayers to current taxpayers has no overall benefit and, in theory, almost certainly decreases economic efficiency.

I suppose that the counter-argument would be that the war debt benefits everyone because it makes us safer and more secure in the future. Allow me to laugh at this argument pre-emptively. Thank you.

Back on the subject of whether collapsing housing prices makes them a good buy in an inflationary economy------ well, it's hard to say. However it is important to remember why the Fed is inflating. Mostly it is because we have a housing slump.

And why do we have a housing slump? Because most people think that housing is over-priced. And if housing is over-priced then why do you want to buy it?
          Last edited by Vanguard; January 24, 2008, 06:32.
          VANGUARD

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

This isn't quite right. Debt which is used to build productivity is different from debt that isn't. Debt to build a company id different from debt to go on vacation. Eventually, the company should start making you some money back. All the vacation leaves with with are memories and diseases.
            The first kind is the worst kind though.
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Home prices are in a rather impressive freefall at the moment. In November -- the last month available -- houses in San Diego lost 3.4% of their value, by far the largest 1-month drop in the index (kept since 1987). Houses in the Washington D.C. area lost 1.7% of their value, also a record.
              Last edited by DanS; January 29, 2008, 11:13.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I think I will buy at -20%
                "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

offer at

-20% now.
                  “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Of course the original price of the house still matters at -20%

Where I am I are looking at -10% where I don't care to live, and -5% where I do.
                    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

• Originally posted by CrONoS
                      Is there any risk of inflation with the slashes of Interest Rates?
                      Yes.

And, why would you want to lower the interest rates if the crisis is maybe because we have too low saving rates and too much consummation?
                      Because people are losing their houses during an election year. The incumbants want to shore up the situation. To hell with inflation; to hell with the savings rate; to hell with the national debt; to hell with all the long-terms problems. All that counts is getting re-elected.

Comment

• What I meant was

Find a house you want and offer them asking - 20%. Maybe they will bite. If not, wait and come back later if it still hasn't sold.
                        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Working...
                        X