Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Large housing slump! Let the good times roll!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it depends on where else can you live/can work/family considerations/are willing to live until this all evens out...

we can have no idea how long this will last, and it could last a lot longer than the last recession, as energy prices are likely to stay up, plus where is that magic 1990's efficiency bullet going to come from? Outsourcing perhaps :-) ...

so sell, go somewhere where you can buy/rent cheap, still work, and you'd still be happy to live and sit this out... otherwise if you like it that much, screw the rest, hope you have a job and sit it out... 120k is not peanuts if you can raise it now for a place you are not particularly attached to... calculation: is 120k worth the cost and hassle of moving somewhere else... + I'd count on the move as least a 5 year plan...
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
      JJ,

By no means am I a financial expert, and given the potent chemicals I'm on, only an idiot would listen to me, but unless I had to sell, I wouldn't. You're going to be going up very shortly against a wave of bank owned properties and buyers know that. You aren't going to be able to sell for what you think you can.
      I know. The cool thing is California has a short sell law meaning no matter what it sells for the bank can't go after me for the difference. So I'd lose my initial investment but would be free and clear to take a wack at another house once prices bottom out of get near bottom.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

"Sitting this one out" might mean 5 or more years for Oerdin.

San Diego's last price downturn lasted from July 1990 to March 1996 -- almost 6 years long.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Man, am I glad I'm done with this stuff. I haven't even wondered what my house is worth. I'm sure it's less than what I paid for it last year, but I simply don't care.

I wish you luck, Oerdin.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
            "Sitting this one out" might mean 5 or more years for Oerdin.

San Diego's last price downturn lasted from July 1990 to March 1996 -- almost 6 years long.
            did the prices reach 1990 level in 1996 or did the simply start going back up at that stage... in case it is only the "upturn" few more years I bet until they reached 1990 levels...
            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Good question. March 1996 was the trough. The "recovery" lasted from March 1996 to August 1998 -- meaning that in San Diego, July 1990 prices weren't seen again until August 1998.

To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me to see the current cycle last longer. Perhaps much longer.

Edit: According to my figures, there were "false bottoms" in San Diego in April 1991, February 1992, March 1994, and March 1995. I don't know how Oerdin could tell the false bottoms from the real bottoms in the current market.
              Last edited by DanS; January 18, 2008, 14:43.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Right now I'm looking at a farm a short ways from Kansas City.

1600 sq ft house, 26X40 barn, large shed, 2 ponds, fields on 2 hills separated by a creek, 21 acres.

$180K.
                Last edited by The Mad Monk; January 18, 2008, 15:39.
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                  $180K.
                  Egads! You might get a condo for that money in L.A. A farm?! You're gonna get an entire farm!

Comment

Yeah, but he has to live in Kansas.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Egads! You might get a condo for that money in L.A. A farm?!
                      A quarter of one maybe. 180K can barely get me a condo in Charleston.
                      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

I could get a 2 bed / 2 bath townhouse for that.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

well that is THE option for Oerdin if he doesn't mind to live in Kansas or Wyoming

Get 140k, spend 80 on a farm, 40 to make it look nice, and enjoy until all this passes in a few years, than sell the stuff for almost the same he bought it now, and have a down payment on a much smaller mortgage + he gets cash to burn in the meantime, assuming he can get a job somewhere in the middle of nowhere. (some sort of work from home setup)

Comment

banana farm.
                            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
                              banana farm.
                              I can find you one...

I hope to take advantage of this housing mess in a few years. Buy a property in Oregon, put a manufactured house on it and live there, sell it a few years later for more dough than I paid. It will mean house payments though, thought I was done with those.
                              Long time member @ Apolyton
                              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

There is actually a guy in Imperial beach with a banana farm. Supposedly it is the only one in the continental US. Not that I could afford several acres right on the ocean like he has.
                                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                                X