• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a car that runs on air.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hydrogen FTW.

Spec.
      -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
        Did you get that info from the coal industry?
        South Africa produced all their gas and diesel from coal during the embargo. This was due to necessity, of course. I suspect it was well more than double the cost of refining from oil, and that we will never know exactly. However, it is absolutely possible.

The sky will not fall. Fuel costs will continue to rise as growth in consumption continues to outstrip new discoveries of crude oil. In the meantime, extraction and refining costs will also increase as less favourable reserves go on line. Increased costs will help to enforce conservation, as well as making alternative energies far more economical, both in relative and absolute terms. It is already clear that investment in alternative energies, which for decades was low and decried by environmentalists, is now much higher; the problem is largely looking after itself by economic law.
        Best MMORPG on the net: www.cyberdunk.com?ref=310845

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Spec
          Hydrogen FTW.

Spec.
          And where would all that H2 come from ?
          "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by dannubis

And where would all that H2 come from ?
            Hydrogen is the most abundant Element in the universe.
            It is contained in practically all molecules and you can even extract it out of water with a simple electrochemical experimental setup that even a schoolkid could reproduce.

I doubt you will have problems to get all the hydrogen you will ever need (at a much lower cost than hydrocarboneous fuels)
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

1) the point is, you need energy to get the H2 in the form you needn it. And given the fact that most energy is generated by burning fossil fuels...

2) the energy density by unit volume of H2 is much lower than that of hydro carbons. you would need a big gas tank (containing a highly explosive gas) to get the same autonomy as with the classical fuels.
              "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Hydrogen is a storage, not a source.

Comment

The ideal hydrogen source seems to be using nuclear power to run hydraulosis and then burning the hydrogen. The major down side is hydrogen gas is still explosive in contact with O2.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Yeah, hydrogen as a fuel source works very well if you are using something like nuclear or a renewable source of energy. If you're burning petrochemicals to produce the electricity to hydrolyse the water to generate the hydrogen, then that is woefully inefficient and you'd be better off putting petrol/diesel straight into the car...
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Yeah, but petrochemicals are aren't a big supplier of electricity in most nations.
                      APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

http://www.fuelcells.org/info/charts...ngstations.pdf. All hydrogen stations that started opening since 2000.

Mazda is making a hydrogen rotary engine for 2010. That'll pwn any car if you consider power/displacement. 285hp for 1.3l, no pollution and still the nice sound of a detonation engine with a 6 speed manual tranny.

Spec
                        Last edited by Spec; January 16, 2008, 10:44.
                        -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

I don't know why we would listen to Wagoner. Have any of his pronouncements been correct except by pure chance?
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Hydrogen is easily mined in space... Let's get those trawlers out there...
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Don't make hydrogen cars, remember what happened to Hindenburg! Helium cars is the way. Morans!
                              So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                              Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Perfection
                                Yeah, but petrochemicals are aren't a big supplier of electricity in most nations.
                                Care to guess again? World energy production by source:

BTW that 1% renewable power sources includes burning garbage which isn't really so renewable.

Trends into the future:

Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                                X