Man's FBI Toliet Alibi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man's FBI Toliet Alibi

This is both really funny and sad at the same time.

Full Story and Video: http://potw.news.yahoo.com/s/potw/59...in-plain-sight

...Elahi was asked about a storage unit he had once rented in Florida. The FBI had gotten a tip that it had been packed with explosives, and that an Arab man had fled from the area the day after the 9/11 attacks.

The tip ended up being false ("Never mind that I'm not an Arab," Elahi notes), but it took him nine lie-detector tests and six months to clear his name. When the FBI finally told him he was no longer a suspect, he requested a letter from them saying exactly that.

But, he says, the FBI refused: Because he was never officially charged, there was also nothing to officially clear. Instead, the agency gave him a phone number and told him to call if he had any more troubles coming in and out of the country.

Shaken by the experience, Elahi started calling the FBI preemptively, telling them of his travel plans, where he would be going and when he would be flying home. But as time when on, Elahi considered how absurd the process was — and upped the ante. He started sending the FBI email and even uploading time-stamped photos of his movements. ...
    I thought the video of him monitoring himself was pretty crazy. I wonder what the FBI really thinks of his diet and bathroom habits.
    The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
    "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
    "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
    The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

your country wastes a huge amount of resources on beurocratic procedures.

I mean - if this guy was a big fish, then don't you think ... uh... 8 lie detector tests would have been enough?

They spend tons of money and time on false targets, and this means losing viable time and money devoted to new or more important targets.

Even if you have an unknown damning tip - just file away, and wait for new information. Harassment is rarely a good policing tactic.

Comment

All very good and true points, Siro.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

If only all people in America would do this.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

dat's cause i'm teh pro

Comment

If all people did it, it would lose some validity and would just look like a lot of paranoids were on the loose.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Yes, but it would make it much easier for the FBI to track people.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

How so? 50 million, or whatever, paranoids having to be tracked?

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov
                  Harassment is rarely a good policing tactic.
                  The Israeli would know.
                  I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                  I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                    How so? 50 million, or whatever, paranoids having to be tracked?
                    They track themselves. And FBIers can review the most suspicious cases. This type of monitoring would have to be mandatory, of course. But it's a small price to pay for our safety.
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

You've convinced me. I'm tracking myself, beginning right now. It's my patriotic duty.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                        All very good and true points, Siro.
                        Ditto.
                        The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
                        "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
                        "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
                        The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Working...
                        X