Any people who ski or snowboard out there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arrian

Relatives just bought a place out in Utah (Moab), and some others got a place in Lake Tahoe, CA, so I'm thinking those options may come up before BC... but we've talked about it.
    It only makes sense you go where the accomodations are cheap for you, We got our condo for free so a 3 hour drive out to Fernie seemed really easy. WE typically do day excursions to one of Nakiska, Sunshine or Louise. All are from 1-2 hours drive away

Originally posted by Arrian

p.s. I too am still using old-style straight skiis. I got 'em really cheap a few years back when the para's had taken over, and the store wanted to get rid of them. My wife has nifty newfangled skis, though.
    Another old-schooler-- THe last of my friends just dumped his straight skis for the new ones. he was amazed how much easier they are to turn.

They are all I have ever used. I know I find them pretty easy to use--
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I feel like a museum piece now with my old straight skis. Last time I had my skis stolen was about 10 or 11 years ago. I spent an expensive season on various pairs of shaped skis (demos) but in the end I went a bought one of the last pairs of the old stock instead.

I mostly did it because I've been skiing more than 40 years now and the old style of knees together skis together is deeply ingrained. Shaped skis turn way easier but you need to keep 'em apart or you'll endlessly be crossing tips. The new skis are a boon to practically every beginner or intermediate skier - so much easier to learn on.

But just as some of the form and grace disappeared from tennis with the advent of better technology and the disappearance of the wooden raquet, so too has skiing been affected. Newer skis turn so much easier than you do not need to be as careful about your stance.

Anyhow - when I lose or break this pair I'll probably be forced to make a conversion.

Only new stuff I have bought recently was a helmet. The first day I shed my toque and donned the helmet I had a massive face plant on an icy patch. Freak accident - but it sold me on the helmet forever.

Comment

Originally posted by RedFred
        Only new stuff I have bought recently was a helmet. The first day I shed my toque and donned the helmet I had a massive face plant on an icy patch. Freak accident - but it sold me on the helmet forever.
        Oh I wear a helmet-- I will say that the nice thing about skiing powder was how very forgiving it was of my falls--I didn't fall on the groomed stuff at all but had some spectacular tumbles in the deep stuff
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Working...
        X