Making cities worth living in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making cities worth living in

I think that this speaker hits the problem of modern cities on the spot.

I do think that his use of troops fighting in Iraq is very much over the top.

But it is a very important thing still:

Dude, we've all seen all Ted presentations already. !!

That's a good one anyway.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

At least the Americans still have the luxury of changing everything if they wish so. Not so here. Many things get a status of being "protected" by virtue of:

- being old
      - being not that old but being "achitecturally important"
      - just being there

Large swaths of my city aren't available for (re)development

I have nothing against protecting some buildings, but things have really gotten out of hand here. For example in this square, a company wanted to tear down a completely nondescript building (the smallest one in the picture) and build something new and useful (and profitable for them, but that's OK, right?). They were immediately branded as heartless profit-hungry capitalists who want to destroy city heritage and the project is currently oh hold.

Comment

WTF is TED?
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Historic districts can be upkept and preserved.
          You don't have to let them go to trash.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Many of the buildings will need adapted reuse though in order to stay relavent. Also we should preserve the best and junk the rest in order to improve public spaces though we have to make sure we are actually improve them and not just building some new crap that is worse then before.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I have to disagree, to a degree. There are people who buy a residential lot in historic districts of fine old beautiful homes.
              They raze them. Put these McMansions there instead.
              I hate the bastards.
              Same for old buildings of commercial nature. I offer "The West End" in Dallas as an example. Old warehouses and such, converted in their use. Made into clubs, shops, restaurants.
              A cool place to go for what it was, as well as what it is.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

This guy's an asshat. I hate suburbs too. With a real passion. But they are there for a reason -- they work economically. Suburbs work better than cities. If you don't like their proliferation, then you've got to make cities work economically.

This guy's out to lunch if he thinks expensive oil will rescue failed cities. If the oil runs out, then you just use electricity. Problem solved. The suburb continues.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

This guy's an asshat. I hate suburbs too. With a real passion. But they are there for a reason -- they work economically. Suburbs work better than cities. If you don't like their proliferation, then you've got to make cities work economically.
                  I don't think they work better than cities at all.
                  What's your measurement standard?

Also, you can't compare the awful design of US suburbia to most suburbia in the western world - they are much more city like.

The main claim that I support is that lots of civil architecture is done while ignoring the public space.

Buildings or lots are engineered without any consideration for how they fit in or what is the effect of their surroundings. The street is seen merely as a way to get from building A to building B. And that is not true.

Comment

I don't think they work better than cities at all.
                    What's your measurement standard?
                    It's a pretty simple standard. Most people can go live in a normal US suburb and enjoy a very high standard of living. It's not the same in a city. I live in the city and none of those nice scenes that this guy pictures include families -- there's not a single family in my ~ 150 unit condo building.

Look, Americans have a great deal of choice about where they will live and have few qualms about moving. They live in suburbs for what they believe to be good reasons.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Yes yes, they also decide to get fat and ignorant about things. Yes we know this. Most Americans CHOSE dubya. Yeah, we'll take your word for the luxuries of suburbia, give us some of them little boxes, NOWWWWWWWWW!!

Did you give this speech in TED? No? Ok.
                      In da butt.
                      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Comment

Well, if you weigh over 200 pounds, I can't take you seriously. If you weigh less, I might give it a thought.
                          In da butt.

Comment

Comment

Ok. I suppose you're right then. Forgive me my arrogant ways. But I am European.
                              In da butt.

Comment

Working...
                              X