No announcement yet.

Say what you want about W....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's wait for the outrageous outcry of some Israeli pressure group and subsequent rectifications.
    "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Olmert didn't seem at all phased by it either.
      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
        Did no-one notice that W called for the end of the Occupation today and the establishment of a Palestinian State, and did so in more forceful terms than any US President has ever done so before?

You'd think that would be news worth discussing. I had to pinch myself when I was watching him.
        Yes, but this comes on the heals of Olmert stating yesterday that East Jerusalem was not "occupied". This simply means the West Bank and Gaza...which has been the basis for a Pal state for a few years now.

No really much new here...

Now...If Bush said to get out of East Jerusalem, then that would be news!
        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Verdict: It's only marginally ironic at best, if one can come up with a good rationale. But that quote, alone, is absolutely not ironic as the OP understands it. Simple hypocrisy alone is not irony. It's not ironic when everyday people criticize professional athletes for poor play.

When you consider the quote in context, you can probably pass it off as ironic if you say that Bush sees himself as a protector of world peace, when in fact, his actions to "protect" world peace actually threaten it. But that doesn't really have much to do with Iran, specifically, and Bush's [correct] assessment that Iran is a threat to world peace.
          "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO

Yes, but this comes on the heals of Olmert stating yesterday that East Jerusalem was not "occupied". This simply means the West Bank and Gaza...which has been the basis for a Pal state for a few years now.

No really much new here...

Now...If Bush said to get out of East Jerusalem, then that would be news!
            Except Bush specifically mentioned Jerusalem IIRC. He did say that he was pretty sure that any agreement would not be exactly in line with 242, but everyone knows that.

The odd thing is that I've been reading Walt and Mearsheimer's book, which has a pretty good run down on Bush's past statements on this topic. He's never gone anywhere near this far before. I'd have been less surprised if he'd come out as a homosexual.

It's just so strange to hear him actually come out and say this stuff, and actually answer most of the questions he would usually avoid. He was even funny, with the crack about his motorcade.
            Last edited by Agathon; January 10, 2008, 15:46.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

It's called "scraping for a legacy apart from the utter ruin of Iraq" aka "complete futility".
              The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyMartini
                It's called "scraping for a legacy apart from the utter ruin of Iraq" aka "complete futility".
                Who gives a **** what it's for. If he manages to come anywhere near close to sorting this crap out, he'll get a gold star from me.

What I want to know is who got to him.
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

It has been noted, actually...

I had my say in that thread, so I won't go repeating it. It's not like it's anything particularly insightful anyway.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I'm with you there. As much as I despise W. he deserves some credit for taking this on, whatever his motivation. That said, I'm dubious about his ability to have any real impact. The reports I've heard about the attitude in the Middle Eastern press regarding is current visit/efforts is basically "too little, too late" or various paraphrases of "lame duck".
                    The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                      It has been noted, actually...

I had my say in that thread, so I won't go repeating it. It's not like it's anything particularly insightful anyway.

-Arrian
                      I didn't know you were Welsh.

Welcome to my ignore list.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

I'm not. The family is mostly English, with Sicilian and some Croat on my mother's side. Dad's nearly all English, though, despite being born and raised in Cardiff. My uncles all live there now. Nice place.

-Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                        X