Toyota knocks Ford out of second place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota knocks Ford out of second place

Lousy cars, burn too much gas, stupid advertising. I used to drive Fords until my Windstar turned out to be crap, turned that in for a Toyota Rav4 which is pretty good on gas and runs well.

Think this will wake them up? They need real hybrids, the ones that get 60 and 70 mpg. Why is it the Japanese are always 10 years ahead of Detroit?
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Management sucks.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Funny how when you make good, solid, reliable and fuel efficient cars, people buy them, isn't it?

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I was actually under the impression Toyota was #2 for years already. Marketing
        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

I had actually thought they had passed GM earlier this year.
          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Two different metrics that sometimes aren't spelled out very well. Toyota just passed Ford for second place in the US. In 2008, Toyota will pass GM for first place worldwide.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Depends on teh measure. Teh OP refers to US sales.
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                Funny how when you make good, solid, reliable and fuel efficient cars, people buy them, isn't it?

-Arrian
                My sis is a big shopper on fuel efficiency and she says that Ford sucks badly on fuel efficiency, but that GM compares very favorably with the Japanese companies.

I haven't seen the figures to confirm whether or not this is the case, but note that Ford really tries to sell fuel efficiencies that just aren't that good (like 34 mpg on a subcompact car that I saw yesterday).
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Well that's where "good, solid, reliable" come in, Dan.

I just ran a quick search of Chevrolets (obviously not all of GM), and the BEST one I saw was a hybrid that was rated at 24/32. There was a big pile of much, much worse.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

No doubt. There's also value. Some of these Detroit cars have shocking depreciation rates, even if they routinely can run 200k+ miles.

Comment

And no doubt at least some of that is left over reputation - even if Detroit really is making better cars, it will take time to convince people of it (like me - I grew up during a period where Detroit = crap, period).

They've got their work cut out for them.

-Arrian

Comment

Hey, what's wrong with Windstars?
                        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                            No doubt. There's also value. Some of these Detroit cars have shocking depreciation rates, even if they routinely can run 200k+ miles.
                            Yeah, but you'd be pretty hard pressed to find any mass-produced car made outside of the third world that can't run 200k+ miles these days.
                            "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                            "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Toyota passed GM in world wide sales and is already number 1.

Spec.
                              -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Working...
                              X