Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most inept cops ever: Dallas, Texas

DNA wins freedom for man after 26 years

DALLAS, Texas (AP) -- -- A man imprisoned since 1981 for sexual assault was freed after a judge recommended overturning his conviction.

Charles Chatman, 47, was released on his recognizance after serving nearly 27 years of a 99-year sentence. He was freed on the basis of new DNA testing that lawyers say proves his innocence and adds to Dallas County's nationally unmatched number of wrongfully convicted inmates.

Chatman became the 15th inmate from Dallas County since 2001 to be freed by DNA testing. That is more than any other county nationwide, said Natalie Roetzel of the Innocence Project of Texas, an organization of volunteers who investigate claims of wrongful conviction.

Texas leads the country in prisoners freed by DNA testing. Including Chatman, the state will have released at least 30 wrongfully convicted inmates since 2001, according to the Innocence Project.

Before his Thursday morning hearing, Chatman said throughout his 26 years in prison that he never raped the woman who lived five houses down from him.

"I'm bitter. I'm angry," Chatman told The Associated Press during what was his last night in jail Wednesday. "But I'm not angry or bitter to the point where I want to hurt anyone or get revenge."

Mike Ware, who heads the Conviction Integrity Unit in the Dallas County District Attorney's office, said he expects more inmates to be proven innocent.

One of the biggest reasons for the large number of exonerations in Texas is the crime lab used by Dallas County, which accounts for about half the state's DNA cases. Unlike many jurisdictions, the lab used by police and prosecutors retains biological evidence, meaning DNA testing is a viable option for decades-old crimes.

District Attorney Craig Watkins also attributes the exonerations to a past culture of overly aggressive prosecutors seeking convictions at any cost.

Chatman's nearly 27 years in prison for aggravated sexual assault make him the longest-serving inmate in Texas to be freed by DNA evidence, Innocence Project lawyers said.

Chatman was 20 when the victim, a young woman in her 20s, picked him from a lineup. Chatman said he lived five houses down from the victim for 13 years but never knew her.

At the time the woman was assaulted, Chatman said he didn't have any front teeth; he had been certain that feature would set him apart from the real assailant.

"I'm not sure why he ended up on that photo spread to begin with," Ware said.

Chatman, who was convicted in 1981 and sentenced to life in prison, said his faith kept him from giving up.

Ware said Chatman would likely be released on a personal recognizance bond until the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals makes an official ruling.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

What kind of settlement do these people get?
    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
      What kind of settlement do these people get?
      30 minutes alone in a room with the prosecutor seems about right.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Slowwhand, please tell us this is the last of these unfortunate situations and circumstances, so that people will leave Texas Alone, I mean, if Life were a perfect world, this would have been settled a long time ago

One Man

One Justice

One Big,Bad-Azz State of Texas and the whole migrant community to fend off

In Texas Ranger J.J.McQuade's world, no such mistake would happen.
        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Inept? Texas is researching many convictions with new DNA advances. I would say they're progressive, rather than inept. They're researching more than anyplace else.
          Nice try, Asher.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
            Inept? Texas is researching many convictions with new DNA advances. I would say they're progressive, rather than inept. They're researching more than anyplace else.
            Nice try, Asher.

Texas, an Irony-Free State
            Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
            Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
            One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

I fail to see how you blame the Dallas police when the article makes it clear that:
              1. Aggressive prosecutors, not police, are to blame for the wrongful convictions
              2. Dallas has exonerated so many because they retain evidence for much longer, and it sounds like generally have a better lab and protective system in place.

Seems like they're probably doing better than most areas, who might well have as many innocents but don't save the evidence long enough to exonerate them...
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

So was he black?

Comment

You're an ass, Vesayen. I don't know what Avalon is laughing about, unless it's the wacky tobaccy again.

Dallas has freed more inmates after DNA testing than any other county nationwide, said Natalie Roetzel of the Innocence Project of Texas. Texas leads the country in prisoners freed by DNA testing, with at least 30 wrongfully convicted inmates since 2001, according to the Innocence Project.

One of the biggest reasons for the large number of exonerations in Texas is the crime lab used by Dallas County, which accounts for about half the state's DNA cases. Unlike many jurisdictions, the lab used by police and prosecutors retains biological evidence, meaning DNA testing is a viable option for decades-old crimes.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Actually I was just responding to the OP.

I read the article then looked for others. I could not find a picture of him. Was he black?

Comment

What does it matter? Were they all black? I doubt it. I don't care enough to look. If they were, it proves my point more than it does your implication.

Comment

I did not say if it mattered or not, the only one drawing ANY implication here is you.

All I did was ask for more information.

Was he black?

Comment

As much as I love to rag on Texas who doesn't?, this doesn't prove that Texas wrongly convicts more people than any other state. Not that they don't either.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

A Google search and here's the top of the page. Either you're a liar, or inept.

Dallas Distict Court Judge John Creuzot, left, gives Charles Chatman a hug after leaving court Thursday, Jan. 3, 2008, in Dallas. Creuzot released Chatman and recommended that his rape conviction be overturned after new DNA testing that lawyers say proves his innocence. Chatman, who had been imprisoned for 26 years, is accompanied by his aunt Ethel Bradley (Tim Sharp/AP Photo)
                            Note that it's prosecutors and judges calling for reinvestigation, not defense attornies.

Comment

Dang, I guess I'm a liar then.
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                              X