Explain to Koy using small words: housing and mortgages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explain to Koy using small words: housing and mortgages

I'm not usually stupid, but in some areas I can make a pretty good run at it. This is one of them.

The situation is that my landlords are in the process of converting some of the apartments here into condos and selling them off. I don't think it's been going particularly well...the three bedroom versions have sold, but they seem to be having trouble selling the two bedroom flats. One of the first ones finished has been vacant for nearly a year, and there's a couple of others that they finished remodeling more recently that also haven't sold. They've put plans to convert the building I'm currently living in on hold and it seems to me that they're getting a bit desperate to move the ones they've already finished.

Basically one of the landlords (who is a good guy, I trust him, unlike his partner) has been trying to talk me into buying one of the empty units. I told him that it was something my fiancee and I had discussed but that we had thought we might wait another year or so and look at one of the units they did later (but now have on indefinite hold.) Mainly the problem is down payment. He said that something might be worked out for that, either with them financing the down payment or through a program Maine has that assists first-time home buyers with down payment and closing costs for +.3% on the final interest rate of the mortgage.

I have no real clue whether this is a good idea, or even what questions need to be asked to evaluate it. I don't know if we'll be living in the area long-term, but it will be at least 3 years and I'd prefer more if it works out that way...but if it doesn't, I don't want to be caught in some kind of real estate implosion. (Is one coming in that time frame? I don't know enough about the market to predict.) What are the gotchas that I need to avoid in a mortgage or in looking at the condo?

Anyway, like I said, small words please as I know nothing. TIA.
    "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Appraisal.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Where are you at? The Boston area, IIRC?
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I'd assume he's in Maine somewhere.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Central Maine.
          "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

I'd edit out that city name. You could merely say, "the closest major city is Boston, but I'm in a more rural area." That's the useful info.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Jeez, what a bunch of paranoids.

nm. Knowing this board, with all it's little commies...
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Three years are a very short period, especially now. The fact that they can't sell empty units makes me even more nervous if it's only for 3-5 five years.
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

It's not like I'm hard to find. But yeah, Boston is the closest major city if you consider 250mi close.

Comment

Is that a major tourist area with lots of vacation homes?

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand

nm. Knowing this board, with all it's little commies...
                      I'm coming after you Sloww. Just as soon as I've figured out where you are. I've narrowed it down to somewhere in eastern Idaho.
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                        Is that a major tourist area with lots of vacation homes?
                        No, college town.

Comment

Does the college dominate the town's economy, or is there some other business going on?

Do condos sell a lot or is this sort of a new thing?

Comment

I live in Richardson, Texas. Near Melrose and Central Expressway. Come and get it.

BC prepares his haubizer and checking google maps for the shortest route
                            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

By the way, my uncle retired from the Richardson Fire Department a couple of years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X