X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Proof that lotteries are a tax on the stupid

Originally posted by Dauphin
    I wish this was The Onion.
    This is the problem isn't it? For all we like to slag off the Americans for being stupid, we know that we have the same problem, just that our f**kwits don't seem to be quite as visible. But from what I have seen, this really does not surprise me in the slightest. And from conversations from my parents maths used to be very poorly taught in school. We often think that it is only modern day schools that have poor standards of education.
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
      I recieved a ticket at Christmas. The draw was 26Dec but I haven't checked the numbers yet. I figure as long as I wait I can say "I may be a millionaire" whereas as soon as I check I'm just back to being a peon.

You hit that million and there will be no more excuses! Oh wait, is it Canadian? Well that isn't such a big hit then is it?
      Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer

You hit that million and there will be no more excuses! Oh wait, is it Canadian? Well that isn't such a big hit then is it?
        I think your joke is a bit dated.

As of now, the two dollars are about equal in value:
        current currency values
        "Every time I have to make a tough decision, I ask myself, 'What would Tom Cruise do?' Then I jump up and down on the couch." - Neil Strauss

Comment

Originally posted by Xorbon

I think your joke is a bit dated.

As of now, the two dollars are about equal in value:
          current currency values
          Don`t worry

He know . .. . he knows
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Yes but Canada had moved ahead, now they are slightly behind if what the Canadian I talked to the other day says is true. Since I had to listen to it when they were ahead, I felt like dishing a little right about now.

"Don`t worry

He know . .. . he knows"

Long time member @ Apolyton
            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Lucky for the players they didn't came with evil numbers like: 1/7 and 1/8... and then: -1/7 and -1/8
              The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

The Canadian dollar is worth a whole 0.69 cents more than the American dollar at this time.

With the dollars so close now, the one which is ahead changes from day to day.
                "Every time I have to make a tough decision, I ask myself, 'What would Tom Cruise do?' Then I jump up and down on the couch." - Neil Strauss

Comment

Originally posted by Xorbon
                  The Canadian dollar is worth a whole 0.69 cents more than the American dollar at this time.

With the dollars so close now, the one which is ahead changes from day to day.
                  While on a personal leve the increased purchasing power when in the US is nice, I can see this very rapid run to parity as something that can cause a lot of problems for Canadian industry-- so many of them have costs in Canadian dollars and revenues coming in US dollars .. . It could actually serve to slow the Canadian economy a bit which could be seen as a favorable result in some sectors
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                    Yes but Canada had moved ahead, now they are slightly behind if what the Canadian I talked to the other day says is true. Since I had to listen to it when they were ahead, I felt like dishing a little right about now.

Given that our loonie used to be worth something like 60 odd cents and there were predictions of a 50 cent loonie, I will gladly accept your ribbing any time our loonie "drops" to 99cents American.

Now-- I didn't usually care too much about the absolute value-- it was more that the dollar valuation is often a signpost of economic performance and there Canada has been pretty stellar-- government surpluses, good growth, low unemployment and tax cuts all while maintaining universal health care and a decent social safety net.

Personally I feel that the loonie rise has been a bit too rapid and my hope is that it doesn't ascend much more. Even a drop into the mid 90s would be beneficial to industry-- BUt with the US credit crises and the feds still spending money like a drunken sailor on shore leave, there may not be much in the way of merits to support US greenback increases in value

Comment

Re: Proof that lotteries are a tax on the stupid

Originally posted by Dauphin
                      "I phoned Camelot and they fobbed me off with some story that -6 is higher - not lower - than -8 but I'm not having it.
                      "The clerk and I have decided that math is wrong."

Regarding the current values of American/Canadian dollars:

Most retailers have NOT adjusted their prices to reflect the cheaper costs of American imports, so we are definitely not better off than Americans... yet.
                      Long live the Dead Threads!!

Comment

Lottery companies and corporations should hire people of...umm...let's call them the "lowest common denominator". Then they could use these employees to test the new games they come up with. It would be one of those rare jobs where a lack of education is seen as a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                        X