Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are textbooks so obscenely expensive in the USA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are textbooks so obscenely expensive in the USA?

I don't get it. What's the problem?

If Tata-McGrawHill (MGH has a tie-up with Tata in India, as far as I can make out) finds that it can profitably sell textbooks here at a fraction of the cost for customers in the USA.

The books are low-price editions, which makes absolutely no difference to me, nor to anyone else here. We're used to studying from books with a paper quality much worse, and Tata-MGH does a fine job of making the books good and durable.

To give everyone an idea of the disparity:

Rudin's "Principles of Mathematical Analysis", a small but totally awesome book, is listed on Amazon at a price of $ 160. I got it at a price of 193 Rs., which is equal to, astounding and shocking as it may seen, a grand total of....... $4.825. And Michael Greenberg's "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" is listed at $ 153 on Amazon. I got it for $10.425 (Rs. 417). Both at the same bookstore. In the city-s book-market, it's standard practice to give a discount of 15% (to 20%) on every purchase, always, to everyone, irrespective of the size of the purchase. I'm quoting the post-discount figures. But given that the 15% is constant for everyone, I can take it that's just the normal reduction - it applies to everyone, so can be safely neglected. So the effective market price is the Indian sticker price minus 15%.

Put together, the total discount as compared to what people in the USA pay, at least for this purchase, is: 95.127795527%.

That is, I'm paying less than 5% of the price a person in the USA pays to get (effectively) the same book(s).

What the hell?

I mean this. Seriously, what gives? What's the problem? Why the gigantic disparity?

Because we value education.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

If you valued education, wouldn't the textbooks be cheaper, so that more people would be able to afford them, and get educated?

I think someone needs an education here.......

Comment

Text books are ridiculously high. They were even I was going. Tuition reimbursement covers tuition, not books.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

yeah, it's a joke really... it's just like medicine, because you really need it, you can charge it .
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

If everyone had an education, it's value would drop dramatically. Biosciences are already seeing the problems with this.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Maybe comics are cheaper, cause they have more pics and not so much text. Text is what makes books expensive. Especially Textbooks.
              Blah

Comment

dashi, the problem with what exactly? What is the problem? OMG THE BOOKS ARE TOO CHEAP NOW! RUN FOR THE HILLS!
                In da butt.
                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Wow! Maybe I am too subtle. I need to reassess my approach.
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

It's because US publishers have higher costs from having to print warning labels like "DO NOT EAT" on their textbooks
                    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi

If everyone had an education, it's value would drop dramatically.
                      "If I have an apple, and I give it to you, then I am less one apple.

However, if I have an idea, and I give it to you, then both of us have an idea."

- I forget the source, and I've paraphrased anyway

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                        It's because US publishers have higher costs from having to print warning labels like "DO NOT EAT" on their textbooks
                        Blah

Comment

You figure that's the first thing theyll teach kids to read as well? It's not working if they can't read. Images? That can cost a lot, plus with all the differencies in cultural context and whatnot, you never know what kind of an image you should relaly put there so...

MY NAME IS REBECCA. I DO NOT EAT.

If oyu don't.. I mean they'll be eating that book and saying "it's ok because I don't know how to read".
                          Last edited by Pekka; December 22, 2007, 15:44.
                          In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm

"If I have an apple, and I give it to you, then I am less one apple.

However, if I have an idea, and I give it to you, then both of us have an idea."

- I forget the source, and I've paraphrased anyway
                              Oye! Are you so desperate for an argument you can win that you'll take an obvious joke seriously?
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                              X