Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there more stars in the Universe than there are grains of sand on the Earth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there more stars in the Universe than there are grains of sand on the Earth?

There are over a hundred million stars in the Milky Way, yes? Ours is a rather small galaxy, right? Then there are 1.25 Billion galaxys in the Universe, correct? Thats allota stars I'm thinking, but there's a whole bunch of grains of sand on the Earth as well. Consider the Sahara, the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area, the Gobi and all the other vast amounts of sand in all the deserts and on all the beaches of the whole of the planet Earth. However the numbers are so huge that likely one total blows away the other, so which is it? Stars or sand?
    More Stars than grains of sand on Earth!
    62.50%
    More grains of sand on Earth than stars!
    15.00%
    It's impossible to know such a thing.
    5.00%
    Bananas, there's lots of them!
    17.50%
    Last edited by Lancer; December 19, 2007, 07:44.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area...

Sand, lots of it.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

if you assume 200 Million Stars per Galaxy time 1,25 Biollion Galaxys, its not nearly enough. There is much more sand than this on earth...

Ofc the bounderies of the universe are unknown so there may be many more stars than assumed above
      If its no fun why do it? Dance like noone is watching...

Comment

More Stars than grains of sand on Earth!
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

there are 4 more
          Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
          Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

I demand a recount.
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Google Answers: More stars than sand particles?There are more stars than grains of sand on the earth. With sand, there is a definite number of particles. The cosmos are infinite..
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Although some sources favour the stars over the sand, these calculations are based on the sand on beaches, whereas the OP just refers to grains of sand on earth.

Chuck in the Sahara and other deserts, and it's a bit different I reckon.

Comment

You can probably find sources that say moose are really platypus if you look hard enough.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                    You can probably find sources that say moose are really platypus if you look hard enough.
                    Yoe mean there not
                    Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                    Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

I think we should count them both and compare numbers.

Comment

Is it fair to assume a finite universe since the sand is in a finite space. Also, what constitutes a particle of sand? Would sand that comprises lime stone be sand, or even a rock before it is pulverised by the ocean into sand? If that were the case could I count He molecules since they could be unborn stars in the right condition?

Really, I think there are too many assumptions within that question to have an awnser. If were to apply my assumptions then the awnser would be stars, because I would have an infinite universe.
                        Monkey!!!

Comment

So you say that when you get to "the end of space", there's a UTurn only? Turn around and come back?

Even with deserts included, talking ALL sand, bottom of the ocean sand, there's a finite number of sand grain.

Comment

So you say that when you get to "the end of space", there's a UTurn only? Turn around and come back?
                            Nope. You don't come to the end of space because there's no such thing. It is curved. So it's like coming to end of a hula hoop.

Comment

There is no actual end to space. The curvature of the universe is such that you do, in fact, just come back around.

Damn you, Zkribbler.
                              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                              X