No announcement yet.

Now hear the good news!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On Sunday, since most churches canceled their service for a snow storm that never happened, my pastor was a little ticked off. He was angry that those churches would cheapen their devotion to God and Jesus. Our church does a free gift wrap at the local mall, and on Saturday, during a snow storm, he was their wrapping. He said the place was packed. The fact that we were able to get our butts through a snow storm to the mall, but couldn't bare the fair weather to get us to church was horrible. I totally agree.

However...

He kept going. He starting talking about how Christmas was cheapened into a materialistic event that had no real resemblence of what it was suppose to be about; Jesus. He said that Christmas had been cheapened by the lie of Santa Clause that parents tell their kids, and it's that continuation of the lie throughout the generations that has taken the focus from Jesus and put it on gifts and a fat guy and magic reindeer.

I agree. Still, it was funny, because despite the kids being encouraged to attend age appropriate worship (Sunday school) some parents don't make their kids if they are being cranky. Cranky kids who went to our church now don't believe in Santa Actually, most of them weren't even paying attention, but the look on their parents face was priceless!

Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
      Atheists that take Christmas off are jerkwads. Lazy jackasses that take the most special of events to sloth around and talk crap.
      Well then don't make it a federal holiday, silly . Have everyone take leave that day instead. Will you be happy then?
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
        Atheists that take Christmas off are jerkwads. Lazy jackasses that take the most special of events to sloth around and talk crap.
        Come on SlowwHand, I appreciate you sharing the same sentiments about our common belief but don't be hateful of atheists. Hatred is unChristian after all . . . .

even hatred of atheists.

I think you misjudged Rufus in this thread.
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Atheists. All pompous. It should be pomppuss.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
            Jumping the gun a bit eh?

As hard as it is for me to say, props to Mr. Fun.

Merry EARLY Christmas, BK.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

Don't know what you're talking about. (1) I'm not an athiest, and (2) I'm just speading the Good News about what Biblical scholarship -- most of it conducted by Christians -- says about Luke.

But, as an erstwhile Iowan, I would never want to be perceived as raining on Mr. Fun's parade. Party on, Mr. Fun!

"raining on MrFun's parade" sounds vaguely suggestive.

Comment

Hark! the herald angels sing, -
                "Glory to the newborn King!
                Peace on earth, and mercy mild,
                God and sinners reconciled."
                Joyful, all ye nations, rise,
                Join the triumph of the skies;
                With th' angelic host proclaim,
                "Christ is born in Bethlehem."
                Hark! the herald angels sing,

Christ, by highest heav'n adored:
                Christ, the everlasting Lord;
                Late in time behold him come,
                Offspring of the favored one.
                Veil'd in flesh, the Godhead see;
                Hail, th'incarnate Deity:
                Pleased, as man, with men to dwell,
                Jesus, our Emmanuel!

Hail! the heav'n-born Prince of peace!
                Hail! the Son of Righteousness!
                Light and life to all he brings,
                Risen with healing in his wings
                Mild he lays his glory by,
                Born that man no more may die:
                Born to raise the sone of earth,
                Born to give them second birth.

Comment

Unless I'm mistakened, I believe Tiamat has said in the past that she is a Christian.

In light of her own thread, I decided to bump this for her.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X