No announcement yet.

Here's the Dems we know and love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The projection for the second half of the session is off by 42% -- that is unless you can find an additional 15 cloture votes in the next few days.

Frankly, I'm surprised that you are defending it needlessly.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Look at the annual total. 18% off. This sort of projection is obviously going to be off if you look at a short interval of time. Again:

The point, which can't be denied, is that the filibusters by the Senate Republicans are unprecedented by at least modern standards.
      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
      -Bokonon

Comment

Your point is rubbish, but even if it weren't, it's just an excuse used by the Dem Party to quell the dissatisfaction of its micro-constituencies.

Let's get to the heart of the matter: Are you satisfied with the way the Democratic-controlled congress has done its business? Are you happy that the Democratic-controlled congress rolled over for Bush again and again on the war? On spending? Are you happy that Bush got everything he wanted, without even a negotiation; no meeting half-way or anything; that Bush dictated his terms?
        Last edited by DanS; December 14, 2007, 14:01.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Again, Republicans have already filibustered in one year more than any other Congress in recent memory has in two years. It doesn't matter if it doesn't fit in with your "Dems in disarray" storyline, but it is quite remarkable.

And of course I'm not satisfied with the Dem leadership. But the fundamental solution is to kick Republicans out of power anywhere and everywhere. Because they'll filibuster practically everything. This is a pretty naked troll that you're trying to pull off...

And I don't see how you're one to talk about microconstituencies, with Republican Pres candidates trying to one-up each other in checking off the wishlist of every insane right wing group in the country. It's quite amusing watching candidaters with heterodox pasts subscribing to every orthodoxy that each microconstituency wants.
          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
          -Bokonon

Comment

I can hardly contain my laughter. The Dems are being pushed around by a lame-duck president with a 35% approval rating (on a good day). And then they excuse their leadership from getting anything at all done because the big bad GOP is just too powerful.

Ramo: How big of a Dem majority is required before the Dem leadership gets its way on any of these items? Before they no longer roll over for a lame-duck president with a 35% approval rating (on a good day)?
            Last edited by DanS; December 14, 2007, 14:26.

Comment

They are. 49 Republicans determined to filibuster practically everything can stop a lot of legislation. So can a President who doesn't give a **** about public opinion.

It's true that the war is different, but getting to a majority in the House in support of defunding is pretty damn difficult (in the Senate it'd be impossible). I'm somewhat disappointed that they're not trying, but they'd lose anyways, making it simply theatre.
              -Bokonon

Comment

Ramo: How big of a Dem majority is required before the Dem leadership gets its way on any of these items? Before they no longer roll over for the president?

Getting out of Iraq anytime soon probably requires a new President. It might be doable if Pelosi really cracked the whip, but I doubt it. As for everything else, most cloture votes failed by a fairly small margin - say 5 or so, which is a reasonable number for the Dems to pick up next year (VA, NH, CO, and NM are at least leaning Dem; they just need to pick up a few more of a multitude of competitive races and hold LA).
                -Bokonon

Comment

Sad, Ramo. He used a common tactic. He completely distracted you from the issue. Mind you, he's actually proved nothing. But he's managed to draw attention away from it.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

It was a complete Chewbacca Defense.

The Chewbacca defense is a fictional legal strategy... The aim of the argument is to deliberately confuse the jury. The concept satirized attorney Johnnie Cochran's closing argument defending O. J. Simpson in his murder trial.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Edit: The wording is all correct though some asshat edited out the picture of Chewbacca and replaced it with some fat dude. Still, it gives people an idea of what a Chewbacca Defense is and why DanS is guilty of it. I just wish the person on youtube hadn't edited the film.
                      Last edited by Dinner; December 14, 2007, 19:13.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

This is not an opinion piece. It is from the WaPo's news folks.
                        In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Here and I thought this thread was going to be a "Scoop" Jackson tribute....
                          "The nation that controls magnesium controls the universe."

-Matt Groenig

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo

Ramo: How big of a Dem majority is required before the Dem leadership gets its way on any of these items? Before they no longer roll over for the president?

Getting out of Iraq anytime soon probably requires a new President. It might be doable if Pelosi really cracked the whip, but I doubt it. As for everything else, most cloture votes failed by a fairly small margin - say 5 or so, which is a reasonable number for the Dems to pick up next year (VA, NH, CO, and NM are at least leaning Dem; they just need to pick up a few more of a multitude of competitive races and hold LA).
                            Cutting off the funding of the war is relatively simple, but that would require dedication and the willingness to weather a public ****storm of epic proportions.

And if anyone wants to count cloture votes in the Senate, click here.
                            If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

"Welsh Tourist Board"

I don't know why but this just made me get mad giggles.
                              "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                              "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                              "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

So people are mad at the Dems for not countering Republican legislation, I'm assuming b/c they didn't like that legislation...

And DanS thinks this is good for Republicans?
                                I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                                I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Working...
                                X