Here's the Dems we know and love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanS
    The graph shows a dreadful lack of understanding of the legislative process, I'm afraid. Or maybe it's deliberately misleading.
    In Washington politics?!? Hard to believe.

As for me, Polosi lost any chance of my support in mid-January. Reid never had it.

Where are Democrats with vision?

Comment

Wow, that wasn't in the least bit ambiguous. Is it really your claim that Republican filibustering isn't unprecedented by modern standards?
      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
      -Bokonon

Comment

No offense, but a do nothing Congress beats a GOP one by a long-shot. That being said, WTB new Democrats.
        "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
        -Joan Robinson

Comment

WTB??

WTB is a three-letter abbreviation with multiple meanings, including those described below:

Welsh Tourist Board
          Warenterminbörse Hannover (Commodity Exchange Hannover)
          Walk Thru the Bible Ministries
          World's Tallest Building

Comment

way to blow it? way to be?

Welsh Tourist Board might work too, though
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Wwwllshdsh Ttvtorittz Bbrbbrrrdvddd
              Fixed

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                Democrats
                Republicans

Politicians suck. News at Eleven!!!111!!

-Arrian
                This is exactly the issue. As bad as the Dems are, no one is clamoring for the reps to come back.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo

That's an inane objection. Unless you can see into the future, a projection based on events that have transpired so far is perfectly fair. It'd be nice if the Washington Monthly created an updated graph, though. Just to show exactly how shameless you are.

Put in other words, by 1/4 of the term, Republicans had almost racked up the same amount of filibusters as the past several Congresses have in a full term.
                  DanS doesn't like graphs that go against his feelings. But he can't say that, so he's left with vague, unsupported statements like, "That graphs bad. Definitely, bad."
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Umm, perhaps the problem is that filibusters aren't normally distributed, so you can't directly project them out?

Comment

But that's just one part of the chart.
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Isn't that the whole point of the chart?

Lying with statistics

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                          Isn't that the whole point of the chart?

Lying with statistics
                          Where are they lying?
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

1. A normal distribution isn't the same thing as a uniform distribution.
                            2. Is there any evidence to say that it's significantly different from a uniform distribution in time (as an aside, there was a successful Republican filibuster of the Energy Bill today; cloture failed by one vote)?
                            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                            -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
                              2. Is there any evidence to say that it's significantly different from a uniform distribution in time
                              Yes, of course.
                              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Which is... Where's your evidence that the vast majority of filibusters occur in the first six months of every Congress?
                                -Bokonon

Comment

Working...
                                X