Christians STILL burning witches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kidicious

Good thing for us or we might find ourselves burned to death.
    Communists have no problems working their slaves to death, though.

At any rate most of the women were murdered.
    The point is, that "most" is actually a very small number.

It wasn't voluntary in most cases.
    All the shrines which were erected to immortalise the woman who did it were for the ones who did it voluntarily.

And it definitely wasn't because of the Muslims.
    Yes, it was. Had it not been for the ambient threat of being abused by the Muslim aristocracy, the custom would never have caught on.

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
      Communists have no problems working their slaves to death, though.
      I do not condone owning slaves, let alone working them to death. Your antics are very childish.
      The point is, that "most" is actually a very small number.
      Under conditions that they are forced to kill themselves no voluntary actions should be considered trully voluntary.
      All the shrines which were erected to immortalise the woman who did it were for the ones who did it voluntarily.
      Again, I can't even comprehend.
      Yes, it was. Had it not been for the ambient threat of being abused by the Muslim aristocracy, the custom would never have caught on.
      wtf????!!!!

You talk like it "caught on" like going to the movies or something catches on.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Hey, Kid, local customs vary. Here in the West(TM), angsty chicks cut themselves. In India, they go all the way to self-immolation. It's a sign of their enlightenment.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I do not condone owning slaves, let alone working them to death. Your antics are very childish.
          Given that I do not agree with the idea of killing someone against their consent, by the same standard, my Communist friend, so are yours.

Under conditions that they are forced to kill themselves no voluntary actions should be considered trully voluntary.
          Correct. The conditions being of near-complete anarchy and instability.

Again, I can't even comprehend.
          Don't you admire people who have to courage to die for their beliefs? In this case, people misused this potent symbolism. But that does not change the fact that it was a potent symbol.

wtf????!!!!

You talk like it "caught on" like going to the movies or something catches on.

It doesn't happen like that.

At first, it's that people praise the person who did it. They're impressed.

Then, there is a little bit of pressure put on people to do it - because it's thought of as a "good thing."

Then, people who don't do it are seen as not good.

Finally, it turns to full-blown force and coercion.

So a thing which, if done voluntarily, may be something like suicide, is now turned into murder. Never quickly, but it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
            Given that I do not agree with the idea of killing someone against their consent, by the same standard, my Communist friend, so are yours.
            I can assure you that that's not the way it appears to anyone else besides yourself. You are calling it something else and then glorifying it.
            Correct. The conditions being of near-complete anarchy and instability.
            This statement doesn't mean anything to me.
            Don't you admire people who have to courage to die for their beliefs? In this case, people misused this potent symbolism. But that does not change the fact that it was a potent symbol.
            Do you admire the followers of cults who commit mass suicide? No. I do not admire people who commit suicide.
            It doesn't happen like that.

At first, it's that people praise the person who did it. They're impressed.

Then, there is a little bit of pressure put on people to do it - because it's thought of as a "good thing."

Then, people who don't do it are seen as not good.

Finally, it turns to full-blown force and coercion.
            And you blame the Muslims for that? That's incredible.

Comment

If someone points a gun at you and asks, "do you believe in X," and you say yes/no and get shot for it, then you're dying for your beliefs. Jumping on a fire because it's all the rage, or because you're too choked up to bear living, is just insane.
              1011 1100

Comment

I can assure you that that's not the way it appears to anyone else besides yourself. You are calling it something else and then glorifying it.
                Given that the only definition of Sati that could be found in the orthodox traditions is the one I referred to - spontaneous combustion - I'd say that it is you who are twisting the meanings of words.

This statement doesn't mean anything to me.
                Your (lack of) knowledge on a particular period of Indian history is not my responsibility.

Do you admire the followers of cults who commit mass suicide? No. I do not admire people who commit suicide.
                Would those cult members have been raped and brutalised if they had not committed suicide?

And you blame the Muslims for that? That's incredible.
                The damn thing wouldn't have started at all had it not been for the disruption.

Comment

aneeshm,

You can't be serious with all that. I'll leave it alone.

Comment

"My atrocities are much better then yours!" to sum up this thread.
                    Blah

Comment

• Originally posted by aneeshm
                      Would those cult members have been raped and brutalised if they had not committed suicide?
                      So the belief these women are dying for is the belief that they should not be raped and brutalised? Sort of a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't thing, innit?
                      1011 1100

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok

So the belief these women are dying for is the belief that they should not be raped and brutalised? Sort of a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't thing, innit?
                        Precisely.

Comment

• You missed my point. First you said these women were dying for their beliefs and should be admired. Then when Kid said they were nuts, you backpedaled and claimed they faced a life of misery if they didn't throw themselves onto the bonfire. So which is it? Martyrs or victims?
                          1011 1100

Comment

• Originally posted by aneeshm

Can't do that, I'm afraid. There have been something like three or four "Satis" in the past 50 years, and at least one of them was a suicide.
                            Wow, you mean one Nigerian cultist burning his enemies and saying they're witches is enough to condemn Christianity but and equally odd and obscure practice in Indian isn't for Hinduism? Talk about a hypocrite.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Oh what a tangled web we weave when at first....

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok
                                If someone points a gun at you and asks, "do you believe in X," and you say yes/no and get shot for it, then you're dying for your beliefs. Jumping on a fire because it's all the rage, or because you're too choked up to bear living, is just insane.
                                That assumes it's done willingly. Sure, everyone says the wife willingly jumped in, but she's not around to contradict anyone, is she?
                                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                                X