Brutalism brutalizes downtown DC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brutalism brutalizes downtown DC

What say you? An extended excerpt from the WaPo article...

Get Washington DC,Maryland,Virginia news. Includes news headlines from The Washington Post. Get info/values for Washington DC,Maryland,Virginia homes. Features schools,crime,government,traffic,lottery,religion,obituaries.

The District government conferred landmark status on a 36-year-old downtown church today despite impassioned opposition from congregants and community leaders who dismiss the building as an architectural blight.

The Historic Preservation Review Board's 7-0 ruling bars the Third Church of Christ Scientist from redeveloping their fortress-like sanctuary on 16th Street NW, two blocks north of the White House.

While several preservation board members expressed reservations about the church's modernist appearance, they said the building is among the city's most significant examples of Brutalism, an architectural movement of the 1950's and 1960's that espoused the use of roughly cast concrete.

The church was designed by Araldo Cossutta, who worked with renowned architect I.M. Pei's firm.

"Preservation isn't always about whether we like and not like buildings," board member Denise Johnson told the audience at the hearing before voting. "You can learn enough to have an appreciation for it."

Congregants said they were unsure whether they would appeal the ruling to preserve their home, an octagonal concrete structure, with high, windowless walls, standing on a spare, unadorned plaza.

But they also said that it may be too costly to repair a 400-seat sanctuary that's no longer suitable for a church that typically draws 40-60 Sunday worshipers.

"We know of no way to adapt the building to meet our needs," said Darrow Kirkpatrick, a congregant who testified against designating the church a landmark. "It's not a welcoming building."
    Yes, the building should be demolished
    53.85%
    No, the building should be preserved
    15.38%
    Local preservation boards are bananas!
    30.77%
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Attached Files
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

:dynamite:
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Its just a big block of concrete.

Flush it down.

Spec.
        -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

I like it. It isn't boring.
          http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

It's not terribly ugly.

Comment

Well, it is a Christian Science church, which may be enough reason to tear it down irrespective of any architectual consideration.
              "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
              "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
              "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

As Kuci said, it's not terribly ugly -- certainly not as ugly as Brutalist architecture usually is. But landmark status? For a non-descript concrete block of no historical significance? WTF?
                "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

I don't see how Brutalism should be any special type of architecture.
                  Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Brutalism is fine for parking ramps. There should be plenty of brutalist parking ramps in DC already.

Comment

I'd agree that it isn't worth saving, but if they sold the property it would end up just another glass, stone, and steel cube like the rest of the city. I doubt they'd even make it remotely distinctive, like the AFL-CIO's HQ.
                      Last edited by Timexwatch; December 7, 2007, 21:12.
                      If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                        As Kuci said, it's not terribly ugly -- certainly not as ugly as Brutalist architecture usually is. But landmark status? For a non-descript concrete block of no historical significance? WTF?
                        QFT - I kinda like it, but there are plenty of better examples of this kind of thing, museums and libraries and the like, its not exactly an endangered species. Im kinda skeptical about large scale landmarking of stuff that recent.
                        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
                          Well, it is a Christian Science church, which may be enough reason to tear it down irrespective of any architectual consideration.
                          You know that is not scientology, right?
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Double post due to poly's data base problems.
                            Last edited by Dinner; December 7, 2007, 11:32.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Hideous. Everything about it screams cheap & tacky construction. Blow it up already.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X